Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 4-1 Grimsby

12 March 2019

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 4-1 Grimsby

12 March 2019

Tranmere Rovers made it five wins on the spin in League Two with a 4-1 victory against Grimsby Town at Prenton Park.

All the goals came in the first half, with Connor Jennings grabbing a brace, James Norwood scoring a wonder goal for his 27th of the season and a first ever TRFC goal for defender Manny Monthe.

Grimsby’s goal came as an equaliser after Jennings’ opener through Martyn Woolford after Scott Davies saved Wes Thomas’ penalty, the Town midfielder scored the rebound. 

Manager Micky Mellon made two changes to the starting line-up which beat Crewe Alexandra last Friday.

Ollie Banks returned to the starting line up in place of Jonny Smith alongside Liam Ridehalgh who replaced the injured Zoumana Bakayogo.

Grimsby had the first attack of the game in the eighth minute, Harry Clifton was put through on goal with a clever curving pass but Scott Davies was quickly out to close down the angle.

Rovers were nearly caught out two minutes later, a cross looped over the TRFC defence leaving Wes Thomas unmarked, but the striker scuffed his effort wide.

Tranmere’s first sight on goal came in the 12th minute, David Perkins, in search of his first goal in white and blue, bent a shot from 20-yards out into the keeper’s arms after a clever takedown by Jennings.

A clever free-kick routine started by former Grimsby man Ben Pringle, saw the ball swiftly moved to Banks, who played a sweet pass into the penalty area for Jennings, and February’s B&M Player of the Month Jennings drove the ball into the far corner to give Rovers the lead with 18 on the clock.

Grimsby were awarded a penalty in the 30th minute as Ellis was adjudged to have brought down Reece Hall-Johnson by referee Graham Salisbury.

Scott Davies made a fantastic save to deny Wes Thomas but Woolford reacted quickest to fire the visitors level.

But just three minutes later, Tranmere regained their deserved lead as Banks, provider once more, delivered a dangerous cross into the middle for Monthe to score his first ever goal for TRFC with a tap in from close range.

And two soon turned to three as Tranmere’s leading marksmen Norwood scored his 27th of the campaign in the 39th minute, and what a goal it was!

The striker collected the ball on the left hand side, with Banks once again providing the assist, and he went for the audacious chip from the right, which is somewhere you’d expect a cross to come from, but brimming with confidence, his effort tricked keeper James McKeown.

Tranmere were running rampant and what a response to Grimsby’s goal as Mellon’s men notched their fourth in the 42nd minute. Banks’ free-kick from the edge of the box was parried by keeper McKeown into the path of Jennings who notched home his second of the evening to give Rovers a 4-1 half time lead.

Into the second half, Jordan Cook nearly stabbed the ball home from a right-hand cross as Grimsby looked for a way back into the game with 55 gone.

Davies was on fire and yet again made a wonder save to deny an opposition goal, to deny Davis from close range. The save was welcomed by a huge cheer from the Tranmere supporters and the song, ‘He’s magic, you know’.

Tranmere made their first change in the 71st minute, Harvey Gilmour coming on for Pringle. The second change followed 11 minutes later, Banks, the man with all of the assists, was switched for Jay Harris.

Grimsby continued to threaten the TRFC penalty box but the defence stood strong and beat away anything that was coming their way.

Next up for Tranmere is an away fixture at North West neighbours for Oldham Athletic on Saturday. For full ticket information, please click here.

Tranmere: Davies, Caprice, Ellis, Monthe, Ridehalgh, Pringle, Banks, McCullough, Perkins, Jennings, Norwood. Unused subs: Pilling, Nelson, Mullin, Smith, Dagnall.

Attendance: 5,269 including 251 away

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account