Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Micky on Forest Green first leg win

10 May 2019


Micky on Forest Green first leg win

10 May 2019

Tranmere Rovers manager Micky Mellon hailed his side’s display as they overcame 10-man Forest Green Rovers 1-0 in the Sky Bet League Two Play-Off semi-final first-leg at Prenton Park on Friday night.

Ollie Banks’ 25-yard right-footed strike in the 26th minute, which was awarded with the help of goal-line technology, handed the advantage to Mellon’s men ahead of Monday’s visit to the New Lawn for the second-leg.

Forest Green defender Gavin Gunning was later sent off by referee John Busby for an incident with TRFC midfielder Jay Harris.

Mellon said: “We had to make sure that we went in to the second-leg hoping that we had some kind of advantage whether that be the home or away first-leg probably to come away with something.

“We got that goal, a fantastic goal from Ollie Banks, against a team that decided they were going to play with 5-3 and the one up top, who made it very difficult for us as they’ve got some big units, it was difficult to find space.”

“There are loads of things that we could have been better at but going in to the second-leg, we are pleased with the good things we did, and it got us our result.

“You have to trust that the referee gets it (the red card) right as it was a key decision.

“Ollie Banks got us that goal, let’s be clear on that, the goal-line technology confirmed it, it was a terrific strike.”

Mellon was full of praise for the SWA and how they backed the boys throughout the win.

He said: “The atmosphere was brilliant, I really enjoyed it, I really enjoyed managing and being involved in this kind of atmosphere.

“You have got an advantage going in to the second-leg, ask me if I’d have taken that, without a shadow of a doubt, we’ll get down there and get prepared to go and play in another environment.”

Micky's full interview is available to watch here 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account