Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Cheshire Senior Cup: Tranmere Rovers 4-0 Macclesfield Town

5 November 2019

Match Reports

Cheshire Senior Cup: Tranmere Rovers 4-0 Macclesfield Town

5 November 2019

Tranmere Rovers advanced through to the second round of the Cheshire Senior Cup after a comfortable win over Macclesfield Town at Prenton Park.

Both sides fielded young squads but Rovers proved too strong for the Silkmen on the night.

Rovers got off to a flying start and opened the scoring within two minutes of play. After a mistake from the Silkmen keeper Stockton, Rovers captain Carl Spellman was on hand to capitalise from close range.

Just six minutes into the contest and Rovers doubled their lead. Striker Bailey Thompson created space inside the box to convert a cross from the right into the bottom right corner.

20 minutes into the tie and Macclesfield missed a glorious chance to half the deficit. The ball fell kindly to Joshua Clegg 12 yards out from goal but his goal bound effort was blocked by Musuamba.

A lack of urgency from Stockton in the Macclesfield net almost resulted in a third goal. The lively George Nugent managed to tackle the keeper just 10 yards out from goal, however the ball didn’t fall kindly for him and ran out of play.

In the dying minutes of the first half, a spectacular lob from George Nugent stretched the lead to three. The ball dropped for him 30 yards from goal and he showed great composure and quality to chip the keeper who was caught off his line.

Shortly after the half time break, Nugent should have made it four for Rovers. He ghosted in at the far post from a right wing cross but couldn’t divert his volley on target.

Midway through through the second half and Rovers fashioned another good opportunity. Stratulis showing his pace down the right and picking out Thompson at the back post. His downward header could neither find a white shirt or the target.

With 84 minutes on the clock, Macclesfield had their best chance of the game. Substitute Joe Cobey raced clear of the Rovers defence and tried to place a shot past Jones in the Tranmere goal however the stopper spread his bodily brilliantly to deny him and preserve the clean sheet.

Moments later, Tranmere extended the lead. A poor back pass was pounced on by Thompson who only had the task of passing the ball into an empty net to grab his second goal of the game and seal the victory for Rovers.

Tranmere Rovers team: Jones, Hayde (Gouldbourne 85’), Sinnott, Blackham, Musuamba, Spellman (C), Stratulis, Walker-Rice, Thompson, Burton (Walton 70’), Nugent (Corness 70’)

Unused subs: Bickerstaffe, Farley.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account