Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Wycombe 1-2 Tranmere (AET)

20 November 2019

Club News

Wycombe 1-2 Tranmere (AET)

20 November 2019

Ten man Tranmere Rovers overcame League One leaders Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park with a 2-1 victory after extra time.

Goals from Morgan Ferrier and Keiron Morris sealed the win for Tranmere and their place into the second round of the competition.

Rovers played all  of the second half and extra time with ten players after Kane Wilson was dismissed after a straight red card.

George Ray, Ferrier and Stefan Payne came into the starting line up for Rovers in place of Liam Ridehalgh, David Perkins and Rushian Hepburn Murphy.

After a steady opening ten minutes, Wycombe had the first chance of the game when Adebayo Akinfenwa found space at the back post from a right wing cross, but his back post header creeped wide.

Minutes later, Connor Jennings picked up a cross from the right, but his shot was off target and hit the top of the BMI Healthcare Terrace.

The replay was certainly a tight affair, with neither team marking their authority in the first 30 minutes, with a place in the second round of the FA Cup up for grabs, a televised clash against Chichester City a week on Sunday.

Jack Grimmer had a glorious chance to put Wanderers ahead, when he got the right side of the Rovers defence and with the goal gaping, toe pocked the ball wide.

Tranmere’s job become tougher just before the half time whistle as Wilson was dismissed, handed a straight red card for a late challenge.

And Wycombe instantly capitalised on the numerical advantage, Stewart smashing into the top corner after a melee inside the Tranmere penalty box.

Cameron Borthwick-Jackson came on for Rovers in a swap with Ray, as Rovers lined up 4-4-1.

Wycombe rattled the cross bar five minutes into the second half, Nick Freeman cutting in from the left.

But against the run of play, a fantastic counter attack saw Tranmere go level as Ferrier beat the offside trap to hammer the ball into the top corner with just over an hour to play.

Tranmere grew in confidence after the goal and were looking dangerous moving forward, Ferrier causing havoc running the channels.

Wycombe had the ball in the back of the net in the 63rd minute as Paul Smyth responded quickest to Scott Davies’ fantastic save from Scott Kashket first attempt, but the former Accrington man was correctly ruled offside.

The hosts, top of League One, were starting to become more of an attacking threat, and Kashket was again denied by a superb stop from goalkeeper Davies.

The second substitute saw Payne replaced by Hepburn-Murphy in a straight swap.

With seven minutes remaining, Davies was on hand again to make a brilliant save, pushing a fierce strike from Alex Pattison over the frame.

The final Rovers switch came as Ferrier was replaced by Corey Blackett-Taylor. However, no one could find a winner and the game went to extra time.

Extra time started and the ten men of Rovers continued to battle on courageously and nearly nipped in front as Hepburn Murphy capitalised on a defensive error but he shot was beaten away by goalkeeper Ryan Allsop.

Wycombe followed up with two good chances within a five minute period, as two substitutes Alex Samuel and Josh Parker forcing the very best out of Davies. Our captain then made a third incredible save at the end of the first period of extra time, pushing away Parker’s free-kick.

Rovers’ excellent defending and never give up attitude came to fruition as the away side went ahead with just five minutes of the second period of extra time.

Morris, who worked tirelessly throughout, replicated his first leg two goals with an unstoppable strike from the edge of the penalty box into the bottom corner in front of the travelling SWA!

Tranmere held their own and booked their place in the second round of the FA Cup with a home tie confirmed against Chichester City. 

Ticket details for the game will be announced in due course. The Club hospitality packages including VIP Fan and Match Experience are both available. To book please email or email  

TRFC team: Davies, Nelson, Ray (Borthwick-Jackson 45), Monthe, Caprice, Wilson, Potter, Jennings, Morris, Ferrier (Hepburn-Murphy 74), Payne (Blackett-Taylor 86). Subs: Pilling, Mullin, Maddox, Walker-Rice. 


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account