Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Coventry 0-1 Tranmere

13 October 2019

Match Reports

Coventry 0-1 Tranmere

13 October 2019

A late second half goal from Corey Blackett-Taylor in front of the Sky cameras sealed a 1-0 win for Tranmere Rovers at Coventry City.


The Birmingham born winger collected a flick on from Kieron Morris to hit a thunderbolt into the far corner.


The win was Tranmere’s first on the road this season and inflicted a first defeat for the Sky Blues since their temporary switch to St Andrews, and they have not lost a home game since March.


Manager Micky Mellon named Corey Blackett-Taylor and Harvey Gilmour in the starting eleven after their impressive performances against Aston Villa U21 in midweek.


Kane Wilson made a return to the bench for TRFC, but Ollie Banks missed out through injury. Neil Danns is currently away on international duty with Guyana.


Blackett-Taylor was lively on the left for Rovers in the opening stages, as he looked to beat his marker Fankaty Dabo.


Coventry’s first sight on goal came from a free-kick by Liam Walsh but captain Scott Davies, who signed a new contract earlier in the week, made the save.


In the 23rd minute, the travelling SWA gave a round of applause to TRFC fan Luke Brown, who sadly passed away recently.


In the 32nd minute, Jordy Hiwula struck from 20-yards out with his shot taking a deflection to go out for a corner but no concern for Davies in goal.


A couple of minutes later, Paul Mullin’s afternoon was over through injury, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy came on in his place.


A drilled cross from former Carlisle United midfielder Callum O’Hare nearly landed on a Coventry City head but was flicked away for a corner. Minutes later, the Midlands side’s skipper, Matty Godden, headed wide from a corner.


Into the second half, Coventry had a golden opportunity to take the lead in the 49th minute, as the same man, Godden, had a clear shot on goal but fired over.


Coventry were mounting some pressure on the visiting goal, and Gooden was the man seeing the opportunities, another with his head, which went wide. Minutes later, the Coventry skipper hit the post with a curling shot from inside the box after Tranmere gave the ball away inside their own half.


Former Huddersfield Town winger Hiwula curled an effort past the post in the 62nd minute, whilst the Sky Blues had a goal ruled out for offside just two minutes later.


Substitute Hepburn-Murphy showed his burst of pace with just over 20 minutes remaining on the right flank to put a dangerous ball in the box but unfortunately a purple shirt wasn’t on hand to turn home.


But that never say die attitude from Tranmere Rovers shone strong and in the 83rd minute, the visitors took the lead courtesy of Blackett-Taylor’s first goal of the campaign.


A header from Payne 30-yards from goal was flicked on by Morris into the path of Blackett-Taylor who was just on side. The former Aston Villa man, at the home of Birmingham City, took the ball slightly to the left-hand side before striking a brilliant effort into the far corner in front of the travelling SWA.


Into added time, Stefan Payne went through on goal to secure the points for Rovers but he miss hit his strike and it went wide of the post.


However, Tranmere held on valiantly to secure an all important three points on the road before Friday night’s League One clash against Southend United under the Prenton Park lights. To purchase tickets for the game, please CLICK HERE to get behind Micky and the lads.  


Tranmere: Davies, Ridehalgh, Ray, Monthe, Caprice, Morris, Potter, Gilmour, Blackett-Taylor, Mullin (Hepburn Murphy 35), Payne. Unused subs: Pilling, Borthwick Jackson, Spellman, Walker-Rice, Nelson, Wilson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account