Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Burnley 3-0 Tranmere

29 August 2020

Match Reports

Report: Burnley 3-0 Tranmere

29 August 2020

Tranmere Rovers concluded their preparations for the 2020/21 season at Burnley in a competitive pre-season friendly in Lancashire.

Rovers lost by three goals to nil against the Premier League outfit, who finished in the top half of the division last campaign, and boasted seven international footballers in their line up.

Tranmere did have the ball in the net at end of the first half, but Stefan Payne’s header was ruled out harshly for an alleged push when the score was 2-0.

In the fourth minute, the Premier League side had the first opportunity, as Matej Vydra had a block well stopped by Peter Clarke.

Burnley's next chance fell to Vydra yet again, but his lobbed effort failed to find the target, as Tranmere settled in well against their Premier League opponents.

Tranmere’s first chance of the match came when Corey Blackett-Taylor raced away from the Burnley right back, but blazed his strike over.

Vydra however did give Burnley the lead in the 23rd minute. There were big shouts the front man was offside, but with the linesman’s flag staying down, he threaded the ball through Joe Murphy’s legs to hand the Lancashire team the lead.

Blessed with seven international footballers, one of those, Robbie Brady, curled an effort from the edge of the penalty box just over the bar.

Tranmere had the ball in the net with five minutes of the first half with a bullet header from Payne; but the goal was ruled out for what looked like a push in the penalty box.

In the latter stages of the half, after an excellent long range save from Murphy to push a 20-yard strike for a corner, Burnley grabbed a second from the resulting kick.

The corner was whipped into the penalty box for Bobby Thomas to double the Clarets lead.

Into the second period, Burnley came close to number three, but some great defending by the visitors with three strong blocks denied Burnley.

Ten minutes in, captain for the game, Peter Clarke, came close to pulling a goal back for Rovers. The ball fell kindly to the centre back at the back post, and he drove an effort goal bound, only to be denied by a sliding tackle from a Burnley defender.

Sixty minutes played and Burnley added goal number three, Johann Berg Gudmundsson calmly side footing past Murphy.

In the 70th minute, Ollie Banks came on in place of Otis Khan for the visitors.

A super save from a 25-yard free kick by Murphy prevented Burnley adding a fourth.

Tranmere’s second alteration saw Clarke replaced by Mark Ellis.

Despite the score line, Tranmere competed from the first minute and caused Burnley problems during the content, and manager Mike Jackson will he pleased with his side’s preparation for the start of the season, with Harrogate Town the opponents on Saturday 5th September at Prenton Park in the Carabeo Cup.

The game is available to watch on iFollow for the cost of just £10. To subscribe, please CLICK HERE and remember, by watching, it helps your football club!

TRFC team: Murphy, O’Connor, Clarke (Ellis 80), Monthe, MacDonald, Spearing, Lewis, Khan (Banks), Morris, Payne, Blackett-Taylor

Unused subs: Jones, Ray, Nelson, Ridehalgh, Walker-Rice.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account