Yesterday, Tranmere Rovers confirmed the signing of Jay Spearing as the Club’s first 2020 summer signing.
To get to know Jay a little better, here are ten quick fire facts about our new midfielder…
1. Born in Wallasey, Spearing came through the ranks at Liverpool FC and captained the U18s to win the FA Youth Cup in 2007
2. In 2008, he made his first team debut for Liverpool, playing against PSV in the Champions League and then against Real Madrid at Anfield
3. His Premier League debut came in 2009 before being offered a three-year deal by Rafael Benitez
4. In 2012, Jay won the League Cup with Liverpool at Wembley against Cardiff City before starting in the FA Cup final against Chelsea later that year. He played in a midfield trio of Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson and himself.
5. He went on to make a total of 55 senior appearances for Liverpool in total, appearing in the Premier League, League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League and Europa League
6. In 2013, the midfielder joined Bolton Wanderers for an undisclosed fee and was named captain
7. During his time at Bolton, he helped the Club win promotion to the Championship, captained the team and also picked up the North West Footballer of the Year award in 2013
8. In 2017, Spearing moved across the North West and signed for Blackpool and was named captain
9. Spearing’s last appearance for Blackpool came in March 2020, when the Seasiders lost 2-1 at home to coincidently, Tranmere Rovers
10. Spearing has made more than 350 professional appearances during a playing career at Liverpool, Leicester City, Bolton Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers and Blackpool.