Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Tranmere vs Warrington match report

22 August 2020

Club News

Tranmere vs Warrington match report

22 August 2020

Tranmere Rovers were on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline against Warrington Town in a pre-season friendly at Prenton Park.

New signing Joe Murphy was called into action within the first minute, with a fabulous stop to deny former Tranmere man Evan Gumbs with a close-range header.

From the following corner, Murphy was yet again called into action, making a comfortable save as the visitors quickly settled into the match at Prenton Park.

Otis Khan and Corey-Blackett Taylor were looking lively in the opening exchanges, and former Sheffield United man, Khan, put in a deep cross to the back post but Paul Lewis’ header bounced nicely in front of Warrington’s trialist goalkeeper.

A header from Manny Monthe which hit the side netting was followed by another header, this time Khan, which forced a great save from the trialist goalkeeper in the opposition goal, but credit has to go to Morris, who turned his man well to create the opportunity for Khan.

Tranmere were starting to grow in confidence, and Morris, as he did so much last season, picked the ball up from 40-yards central, drove at the opposition before shooting from the edge of the box, with his effort creeping wide of the right hand post.

Blackett-Taylor drove past Gumbs on the left with ten minutes of the first half remaining, striking a fierce effort with his right but it smashed wide.

Two minutes later, another former Tranmere man, Mitch Duggan tested Murphy from the edge of the box but our new goalkeeper was on hand to beat the ball away.

Chances were coming fast before the end of the half, Blackett-Taylor had the keeper beaten with a 20-yard strike but a last gasp clearance on the line from Callum Grogan denied the opening goal of the game.

The best chance of the half was the last, when a lovely floated ball from Jay Spearing found Blackett-Taylor, through on goal, the winger hit it straight into the chest of the goalkeeper.

A weaving run for Ferrier finished the half, beating two men with ease his powerful strike was straight at the keeper.

Into the second half, Tranmere made three changes, Ollie Banks, James Vaughan and Calum MacDonald coming on for Liam Ridehalgh, Lewis and Ferrier.

However it was the visitors that took the lead in the 49th minute, when Buckley escaped the TRFC defence to lift the ball over Murphy into the back of the net.

Tranmere could and should have equalised when a fantastic break away move accumulated in Lee O’Connor heading the ball to the back post for Blackett-Taylor but he missed the ball with a certain tap in goal at his mercy.

Tranmere were creating a number of chances after the goal, again Khan and Blackett-Taylor the dangerman but they both had efforts saved from inside the box by the trialist goalkeeper.

Banks had an effort deflected over for a corner as Tranmere’s play will have impressed boss Mike Jackson despite the scoreline not in our favour.

Tranmere made more changes with Morris, Spearing, Khan, Clarke, O’Connor, Monthe and Blackett-Taylor off for Mark Ellis, Stefan Payne, two trialists, Kyle Hayde, Danny Walker Rice and George Nugent coming on.

Warrington doubled their lead with 15 minutes to go as Dixon made a couple of smart turns in the penalty box and fired into the corner from close range.

The visitors added a third just before the final whistle from the penalty spot, Mackreth the goal scorer as focus now turns to our friendly on Tuesday at home to Preston North End.

Tranmere: Murphy, O’Connor (trialist 66), Clarke (Ellis 66), Monthe (Nugent 66), Ridehalgh (MacDonald 46), Morris (trialist), Lewis (Banks 46), Spearing (Walker-Rice 66), Blackett-Taylor (Payne 66), Khan (Hayde 66), Ferrier (Vaughan 46)

Warrington: Trialist, Gumbs, Amado, Munro, Roberts, Grogan, Mackreth, Trialist, Buckely, Dixon, Warren.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account