Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Wycombe Wanderers 3-1 Tranmere Rovers

22 February 2020

Match Reports

Wycombe Wanderers 3-1 Tranmere Rovers

22 February 2020

Tranmere Rovers suffered a 3-1 defeat away to promotion-chasing Wycombe Wanderers in Sky Bet League One at Adams Park on Saturday afternoon. 

Gareth Ainsworth’s hosts led on the stroke of half-time when Anthony Stewart bundled in a header from a corner.

Vaughan levelled for Rovers just beyond the hour-mark with a well-composed side-footed finish that went in off the post, his first goal in Tranmere colours.

Adebayo Akinfenwa restored the Chairboys’ advantage with 19 minutes left when he glanced in a corner.

Joe Jacobson added Wycombe's third from the penalty spot after Scott Davies brought down Alex Samuel in stoppage time. 

Defenders Peter Clarke and Kane Wilson returned to the starting line-up for Micky Mellon’s side after injury, while Vaughan partnered Andy Cook up front.

Donning a kit of all white, and backed by a healthy contingent of the SWA, Rovers had to be on their guard early on when Akinfenwa lofted a pass to Fred Onyedinma, but Wilson produced a well-timed tackle in the penalty box, as the ball fell into the grasp of Davies.

Up the other end, Corey Blackett-Taylor’s corner was met by the head of Clarke, though his goal-bound header was blocked.

Rovers then had to clear their lines twice in the six-yard box after a set-piece from home goalkeeper Ryan Allsop presented opportunities to Akinfenwa and Darius Charles.

The swirling wind was causing issues for both teams, and Davies had to watch and gather a set-piece under pressure which had been lofted forward by Jacobson.

Midway through the half, Kieron Morris beat his man down the left and floated a cross into Cook, however the forward couldn’t fully connect with his volley which was comfortable for Allsop.

Having seen Curtis Thompson shoot past the upright, Wycombe’s next opportunity came through Jason McCarthy’s free-kick on the half-hour, which found its way up and over the wall, straight into Davies’ grasp.

David Wheeler then tried his luck following Paul Smyth’s cross, with his effort failing to test Davies.

The Buckinghamshire outfit were ahead on 44 minutes when Stewart headed in from on the line after a corner was headed across goal.

Wycombe created the first real chance of the second-half, with Smyth getting beyond Wilson before driving forward and bending his attempt which Davies was equal to after dropping down low to his right.

Mellon brought on Morgan Ferrier in place of Cook with 56 minutes played as Tranmere went in search of an equaliser.

Two minutes later, Rovers almost found themselves further behind in the game after Akinfenwa crashed a powerful off the crossbar from inside the six-yard box.

Tranmere equalised with 63 minutes on the clock when Vaughan chased a loose ball to side-foot right-footed from the left-side of the area past Allsop, which crossed the line after hitting the base of the right-post.

Davies would be on hand four minutes after to thwart Stewart’s header from close-range from McCarthy’s cross.

Wycombe were back in command when Akinfenwa planted his header past Davies’ dive and into the bottom right-corner from Onyedinma’s corner with 20 minutes to go.

Rovers conceded a third in stoppage time from the penalty spot after Davies brought down  Samuel, with Jacobson converting the resulting kick from 12-yards.

Next up for Rovers is a trip to the New Meadow on Tuesday night, where Shrewsbury Town await, 7:45pm kick-off. 

TRFC: Davies ©, Wilson, Clarke, Monthe, Ridehalgh, Morris, Woodyard, McCullough, Blackett-Taylor, Vaughan, Cook (Ferrier 56)

Subs: Pilling, Nelson, Perkins, Danns, Banks, Jennings

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account