Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-2 Ipswich

18 January 2020

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-2 Ipswich

18 January 2020

Tranmere Rovers suffered a 2-1 home defeat to Ipswich Town at Prenton Park on Saturday afternoon.

Manny Monthe steered Tranmere into a 33rd minute lead with a header from Jake Caprice’s inviting free-kick.

Paul Lambert’s Tractor Boys drew level ten minutes into the second-half, when Flynn Downes headed in from close-range.

Kayden Jackson turned the game on its head with 11 minutes left to play when he chipped over Scott Davies for the winner.

Manager Micky Mellon made two changes from last weekend’s draw away at Southend United for the contest with Ipswich.

Captain Davies returned from a calf injury to take his place in goal while Liam Ridehalgh replaced Calum Woods at left-back. Alex Woodyard made his home debut in Rovers colours.

Tranmere started brightly and Connor Jennings’ hooked ball over the top of the visitors’ backline, but defender James Wilson managed to scramble to safety.

Jennings then tried his luck himself, profiting from Woodyard winning possession in midfield, to strike an effort from 25-yards which was deflected wide, while Neil Danns had a strike charged down.

Davies then had to drop down well to his right to keep out Emyr Huws’ drive from distance.

Luke Garbutt then bent his set-piece into the Argyle Satellite Taxis Kop, while Davies had to stop Will Keane’s bicycle-kick from the edge of the penalty area.

David Perkins later valiantly threw himself in the way of Downes’ well-struck low attempt from 20-yards.

Mellon’s men were ahead just past the half-hour mark when Caprice won and whipped in a free-kick from the right, which was met by Monthe’s towering header, that beat goalkeeper Will Norris to find the top left-corner.

Peter Clarke nearly doubled Rovers’ lead six minutes prior to the break when he turned and shot 10-yards from goal following Woodyard’s pass, which narrowly missed Norris’ bottom left-post.

The final chance of the half fell to Keane, who saw his tame daisy-cutter gathered by Davies after being played through by Jackson.

As play resumed for the second-half, Jackson’s cross from the right flashed across goal, with no Ipswich man in the box to meet it.

The Suffolk outfit levelled with 55 minutes on the clock, when Downes glanced beyond Davies’ left-arm inside the six-yard box from Garbutt’s cross.

Huws then drove a rising effort from close-range which flew over Davies’ crossbar and into the away support.

Caprice’s crosses were causing concern for Ipswich, as his floated ball to the back post picked out Danns, who looked to nod across to Jennings, but skipper Luke Chambers swept up the danger.

Boss Mellon replaced Danns with Ollie Banks with 20 minutes left, in an attempt to freshen things up.

Ipswich’s second goal came after 79 minutes when Jackson broke through the Rovers defence to lift the ball over Davies.

Corey Blackett-Taylor came on for Perkins with Rovers now searching to equalise.

Former Rovers forward James Norwood, who came on as a late change, was denied by Davies, as was Jackson.

Up the other end, despite late pressure, Tranmere couldn’t find an elusive goal to level the Sky Bet League One encounter.

Next up for Rovers is an Emirates FA Cup third-round replay against Premier League club Watford on Thursday night, kick-off 7:45pm at Prenton Park.

TRFC: Davies ©, Ridehalgh, Monthe, Clarke, Caprice, Danns, (Banks 71) Perkins (Blackett-Taylor 83) Woodyard, Morris, Ferrier, Jennings

Subs not used: Pilling, Nelson, Mullin, Gilmour, Payne

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account