Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Southend United 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

11 January 2020

Match Reports

Southend United 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

11 January 2020

Tranmere Rovers played out a 0-0 draw at Southend United at Roots Hall.

Both teams had opportunities to win the game but neither could find a break through.

Manager Micky Mellon handed a debut to Alex Woodyard whilst Peter Clarke made his league debut for the Club.

Meanwhile, Ollie Banks and Liam Ridehalgh rejoined the bench after time out through injury.

Within the first two minutes, Tranmere broke away with a counter attack after an excellent defensive header from Peter Clarke. Neil Danns broke away on the right, with Jake Caprice overlapping, Danns opted for the shot, forcing a top save from Shrimpers goalkeeper Mark Oxley.

Minutes later, Kieron Morris picked up a deep cross from Caprice, a great chance, but his first time strike inside the box flashed wide.

A scare for the away side in the 24th minute as Aaron Chapman clearance was weak and landed to the feet of Stephen Humphrys but with the goal gaping, his long range effort was recovered by Chapman.

Both teams had sights on goal after the half hour mark. First, Chapman and Peter Clarke left the ball for each other, and Southend nearly capitalised before Rovers cleated.

A minute later, Connor Jennings raced through but he couldn’t get his shot off as Oxley collided with our number 11. Unfortunately the collision meant Jennings game came to an end prematurely as Paul Mullin came on in his place with 39 on the clock.

A Southend free-kick from 25-yards went wide of the post by Sam Mantom as the first half came to a close with the score 0-0.

Southend started the second half with three chances within the first ten minutes but unable to test loan goalkeeper Chapman.

Tranmere’s first opportunity of the half fell to Danns as his header flew over the bar and a couple of minutes later, Morgan Ferrier shot inside the box was blocked meaning an easy save for the home goalkeeper.

Danns had another glorious chance in the 66th minute, but his 20-yard strike was just wide of the mark.

A good save from Chapman denied Southend the opener saving well from Stephen McLaughlin. Minutes before, Humphrys missed a good chance for the hosts.

Tranmere second swap came in the 78th minute as Corey Blackett-Taylor replaced Danns.

However neither team could find a break through and the game finished 0-0.

Tranmere team: Chapman, Woods (Ridehalgh 90), Monthe, Clarke, Caprice, Morris, Perkins, Woodyard, Danns (Blackett-Taylor 77), Jennings (Mullin 39), Ferrier.

Unused subs: Pilling, Gilmour, Banks, Payne.

Attendance: 5988 (392 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account