Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers U18s 3-0 Blackpool U18s

9 March 2020

Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers U18s 3-0 Blackpool U18s

9 March 2020

Tranmere Rovers U18s picked up a valuable win with a dominant 3-0 victory over Blackpool U18s.

Rovers were on top for most of the game as they looked to make amends for their 3-2 defeat in the reverse fixture.

Ethan Gouldbourne, Jake Burton and Michael Quinn were on target as three goals in seven minutes secured the three points.

Tranmere looked to go in front early and their first big chance of the game came after 11 minutes when Quinn’s shot fell to George Nugent who found himself free at the back post but his shot from the tightest of angles rolled across the face of goal.

The whites continued to push for an opener and really should have scored but Burton failed to connect with Lewis Sinnott’s cross.

Despite their constant pressure, the home side were almost left to rue their missed chances when Goldbourne brought down Nana Adarkwa inside the area and the referee showed no hesitation in awarding the penalty.

It was Cameron Antwi who stepped for the tangerines, but Joe Bickerstaffe produced a remarkable save to deny him from the spot.

Carrying momentum from their opponent’s penalty miss, Andy Parkinson’s side looked to make up for their wasted chances and after a scramble in the box, the ball came to Goldbourne who headed just wide from inside the six-yard box.

Somehow the match entered the half goalless with both sides scratching their heads as to how they had not scored.

Tranmere picked up where they had left off in the first half and were rewarded for their efforts just three minutes into the half when Nathan Corness’ corner was met by Goldbourne and his powerful header gave the goalkeeper no chance.

It was not long before the hosts doubled the scoring as Goldbourne’s long ball was met by Burton who made no mistake in slotting the ball past Sam Kellitt in the Blackpool goal.

Rovers wasted no time in adding a third as a fast-paced counter attack resulted in Nugent squaring the ball to Quinn who tapped the ball into a virtually open net.

Blackpool looked to grab a goal back but Bickerstaffe was determined to keep a clean sheet. Rob Apter’s shot from distance was headed for the bottom corner and would have been a goal but for a great diving save.

The away side began to play their way into the game and had another great chance in the 78th minute. Tony Weston found space in the box and looked to slip the ball in at the near post but Bickerstaffe made himself big to narrow the angle.

With Tranmere’s work done, Blackpool continued their efforts for a consolation goal and had their best chance of the game with just minutes to play but when Weston went through one on one, he tried to take it around the keeper, but it was well read by Bickerstaffe.

Tranmere Rovers U18s will look to get their second win in a row when they travel to face Morecambe U18s on Tuesday.

Report by: Daniel Paul Noble

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account