Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Salford City 2-2 Tranmere Rovers

10 October 2020

Match Reports

Report: Salford City 2-2 Tranmere Rovers

10 October 2020

An emphatic fight back in the final five minutes secured a deserved point for Tranmere Rovers at promotion hopefuls Salford City.

Trailing 2-0 with five minutes to go, goals from Kieron Morris and a stoppage time equaliser from Paul Lewis sealed a deserved draw after Salford led 2-0 at half time.

Rovers fully deserved their point after a fantastic second half performance, and stretches our unbeaten run to four matches in all competitions.

 Salford went ahead in the first two minutes, a cross from James Wilson from the right was met by a deflected shot from Ritchie Towell.

Tranmere nearly responded emphatically was Jake Burton and Kaiyne Woolery linked up well to play Otis Khan but the midfielder was denied by a smart low save from the goalkeeper.

A thunderous strike from Wilson made it 2-0 as he collected the ball on the right hand side, and let loose from the edge of the box as it fizzed past goalkeeper Joe Murphy.

Tranmere were finding space in the opposition and with ten minutes to go in the first period, Paul Lewis struck wide from 25-yards after good play by Jake Burton on his debut.

Burton was replaced soon after for Danny Walker Rice but Rovers trailed 2-0 at half time.

Tranmere were more than holding their own against City, as the visitors looked for an opening to get a goal back.

Meanwhile the hosts were being limited with their attacks, as the experienced back four.

Kieron Morris in particular was finding space in front of the Salford defence, while Jay Spearing was adding composure in the middle of the park.

Tranmere were creating opportunities and certainly the team with the most attacking intent in the second period, but the killer pass to get sight on goal was missing.

A fabulous chance fell to Manny Monthe, as he acrobatically hit the ball over the cross bar with an over head kick, following a Khan corner.

Minutes later, Mark Ellis was left unmarked at the back post and he headed into the grateful hands of the goalkeeper.

However, Tranmere’s spirited second half display finally earned a goal as Morris hit a wonderful effort from 25-yards with four minutes left to play.

And Tranmere’s persistence finally paid off in the dying embers of extra time as a scramble in the home penalty area was smashed home by Paul Lewis to put the score level and secure a deserved point for Tranmere.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account