Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-0 Barrow

24 April 2021

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-0 Barrow

24 April 2021

A second half header from striker David Nugent made it back to back wins for Tranmere Rovers with a 1-0 victory against Barrow at Prenton Park.

Nugent, who came off the bench, was positioned in the perfect place to direct a cross from Feeney into the far corner. 

Rovers could have scored more in the second period, but the win also ensured our third consecutive clean sheet in a row. 

Tranmere Rovers manager Keith Hill named the same team and bench from last Tuesday’s win at Bradford City. Visitors Barrow named former Tranmere man Ollie Banks in the heart of the midfield.

In a tight opening 20 minutes, Barrow had the first opportunity of the game, as their top goal scorer, Scott Quigley, turned and shot, which was well saved by Joe Murphy.

Barrow’s opportunity sprung Tranmere into life, and they started to put the pressure on, winning a number of corners as they looked to test the opposition backline.

However, it was the visitors who had the next shot on target, from just outside the penalty area, but Murphy made the save and Tranmere quickly cleared their lines.

Tranmere midfielder Jay Spearing had the first shot on goal from the outside of the penalty box, but his effort was claimed by the goalkeeper with a comfortable low save.

Rovers brought on Otis Khan and eventual match winner Nugent for the beginning of the second half, replacing Keiron Morris and Danny Lloyd.

Tranmere came out with a real urgency in the second period, and had two great openings in the first five minutes, but Khan miscontrolled at a key moment, and Peter Clarke had a header saved.

A lovely flowing move from Tranmere, which saw Feeney and Khan link up, resulted in Woolery putting in a low cross into the box for MacDonald to flick wide.

At the other end, Barrow curled an effort over the crossbar as neither team could find the break through.

However, with 66 minutes played, Tranmere’s second half pressure paid off as a delicious ball into the box was met by the head of substitute Nugent to head home.

Nugent had a second chance minutes later, curling an effort from the left hand side just wide of the post.

A delightful cross from Nugent picked out the run of Lewis, who peeled off his marker to direct a header against the cross bar.

Rovers again should have scored as a corner by Feeney was driven into the penalty area but it deflected off Woolery and he couldn’t connect.

Tranmere: Murphy, O’Connor, Monthe, Clarke, MacDonald, Spearing, Lewis, Feeney, Morris (Khan 46), Morris (Nugent 46), Woolery. Unused subs: Jones, Ridehalgh, Ray, Jolley, Blackett-Taylor

Our next match will be live on iFollow against Forest Green Rovers, and it is available to watch for just £10 on Saturday 1st May, 3pm kick-off. To subscribe, please CLICK HERE.

Our match report is sponsored by MAIN.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account