Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-1 Cambridge

5 April 2021

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 1-1 Cambridge

5 April 2021

Tranmere Rovers drew 1-1 at home to League Two leaders Cambridge United on Easter Monday at Prenton Park.

Paul Lewis opened the scoring but Rovers were pegged back in the second half by a Paul Mullin equaliser after a controversial penalty was awarded in the visitors favour.

Manager Keith Hill drafted in Manny Monthe and Danny Lloyd for the game against the table topping U’s.

Corey-Blackett-Taylor also returned to the bench for Rovers, meanwhile, Mullin lined up for Cambridge against his former employers.

In the tenth minute, Tranmere took the lead as a clever through ball by Danny Lloyd picked out the run of former Cambridge man, Lewis, who tucked the ball away against his former employers to give TRFC the lead.

Rovers came close to adding a second when they broke away from the U’s backline but Feeney’s cross was clutched by the goalkeeper.

Tranmere were dealt a tough blow with 20 minutes on the clock as Jay Spearing was withdrawn through injury, Keiron Morris coming on in his place.

A strong hand from Joe Murphy prevented Cambridge scoring an equaliser as Liam O’Neil was unmarked in the penalty area from a left hand side cross.

A wonderful free-kick from Feeney, 30-yards from goal, was pushed onto the crossbar by Callum Burton, to deny Rovers a second just before the half hour mark.

Lloyd had sight on goal to further extend Tranmere’s advantage but he hit across goal to his frustration but more positive signs for TRFC.

The first half concluded with another opportunity for Tranmere, but into the second half, and just before the hour mark, Cambridge scored a controversial equaliser when the visitors were awarded a penalty kick.

Mullin stepped up for Murphy to save the penalty, but he followed up with the rebound to score.

Despite the setback, Tranmere didn’t let the goal knock their confidence and continued to fight to regain the lead on a bitterly cold afternoon at Prenton Park.

Otis Khan cut in from the right hand side to sting the goalkeeper’s palms as Rovers kept on pushing. Meanwhile, David Nugent replaced Woolery and Corey-Blackett-Taylor came on for Lloyd.

Tranmere created a number of half opportunities in the final stages, but the game finished 1-1 as Hill’s men moved up to third place in the league table.

Tranmere: Murphy, Khan, Clarke, Monthe, MacDonald, Lewis, Spearing (Morris 20), O’Connor, Feeney, Woolery (Nugent 70), Lloyd (Blackett-Taylor 80). Unused subs: Jones, Ridehalgh, Ray, Crawford.

Our next game will take place on Saturday at Scunthorpe United, and the game will be available to watch live on iFollow for just £10. To subscribe, please CLICK HERE.

Today’s match report is sponsored by MAIN.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account