Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe 1-0 Tranmere

28 August 2021

Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe 1-0 Tranmere

28 August 2021

Scunthorpe United ran out 1-0 winners against Tranmere Rovers courtesy of an early first half penalty. Both teams had chances to score throughout the game, but the early spot kick was the decisive moment.

Calum MacDonald made his first start of the season after a lengthy lay off through injury.

Scunthorpe took a third minute lead when Calum McManaman was adjudged to have handled the ball by referee Trevor Kettle, and he awarded the hosts a spot kick. Myles Hippyolyte stepped up and even though Joe Murphy got a hand to the ball, it hit the back of the net to give the hosts a goal advantage.

A wonderful stop by Murphy denied Scunthorpe a second after a lovely cross from the left hand side.

Minutes later, strong hold up play by Elliott Nevitt saw the frontman play the ball out wide for McManaman, to weave in and out before his effort took a deflection, resulting in an easy collection for the goalkeeper.

Scunthorpe had another glorious chance in the 34th minute, as Devante Green got the right side of the TRFC backline, to be denied by a great save. The hosts won a corner, and from this, Harry Davis was denied by another wonderful Murphy stop.

A corner kick by Liam Feeney was greeted by Ryan Watson’s head but he couldn’t steer the ball on target as Rovers looked for an equaliser.

Tranmere began the second half with a shot from the edge of the box by Ryan Watson, which flew inches wide of the right hand post.

United should have put the hosts two in front after the ball ended up at the back post for Lewis Thompson to side foot wide.

Manager Micky Mellon brought on Chris Merrie and Keiron Morris with 55 on the clock, MacDonald and Paul Glatzel making way.

Scunthorpe skipper Davis headed over the cross bar from a left hand sided corner, whilst at the other end, Tranmere were starting to put testing crosses into the opposition penalty area.  

The final change for TRFC saw Emmanuel Dieseruvwe come on for Watson with 18 minutes remaining. A shot from the edge of the box by McManaman flew over the bar after a pass by Morris in the 74th minute.

Rovers had a fabulous opportunity to equalise when the ball ended up at Dieseruvwe’s feet after Morris’ shot was deflected, but he couldn’t get the ball under control to shoot. However, Scunthorpe held on for the win with the score finishing 1-0. 

Tranmere: Murphy, Cogley, Clarke, Knight-Percival, MacDonald (Merrie 55), Spearing, Watson (Dieseruvwe,72), Feeney, Glatzel (Morris 55), McManaman, Nevitt. Unused subs: Doohan, Davies, Foley, Maguire

Our next game will be at home to Harlepool United on Saturday 4th September, 3pm kick-off at Prenton Park. Tickets are available to purchase now via

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account