Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Swindon 0-0 Tranmere

17 August 2021

Match Reports

Report: Swindon 0-0 Tranmere

17 August 2021

Tranmere Rovers secured their third consecutive clean sheet in the league with a 0-0 draw at Swindon Town.

Both teams created clear goal scoring opportunities on the night, but were unable to find a break through with the points shared in Wiltshire.

TRFC made two changes from the draw at Port Vale, with Calum McManaman and Ryan Watson swapping places with Paul Glatzel and Sam Foley.

McManaman robbed possession for Rovers deep inside the Swindon half in the tenth minute, taking the ball past his first man, his shot was straight at the goalkeeper.

Playing their third consecutive game on the road, Tranmere were cheered on by a strong support from Wirral, as manager Micky Mellon deployed the same formation from the 0-0 draw at Port Vale.

Joe Murphy pounced on the ball just before the quarter hour mark to deny the hosts as Harry Parsons nearly toe poked home.

Jay Spearing hit a strike a yard wide of the right hand post after a loose ball was picked up by the former Blackburn man on the edge of the box.

Good play from Liam Feeney as he delivered an excellent cross for Emmanuel Dieseruvwe who got above his marker to head wide.

Watson, back in the starting eleven, missed a glorious opportunity in the 27th minute as he hit the ball over from three yards out from a corner kick.

Swindon’s number nine Tyreece Simpson got on the wrong side of the Rovers to hit a low effort for Murphy to make an impressive save.

Another big chance fell the hosts way as Jack Payne beat Watson but Murphy made the save, on the follow up, Harry McKirdy hit the post before half time. 

Looking for his first senior goal, Josh Cogley began the second half by hitting the side netting, getting on the end of Keiron Morris’ cross, wing back to wing back.

A world class save from Jojo Wollacott denied Dieseruvwe a first competitive goal after a wonderful cross by McManaman set our towering number nine up for a header from point blank range.

At the other end, Payne curled a free-kick over the cross bar from 25-yards.

The same man hit another strike for the hosts in the 65th minute, but was comfortable for Murphy in the Tranmere goal.

Like last weekend, Murphy made a important save for Tranmere as McKirdy was played through on goal. Seconds later, Our number 13 followed with another strong save from a corner kick.

A double change followed with 20 minutes to go for Tranmere as Glatzel replaced Feeney and Watson head off for Foley.

Murphy’s fine form continued as he denied McKirdy once again from point blank range as the hosts cut open the Rovers defence with a clever through ball.

Tranmere’s third change took place in the 76th minute as Elliott Nevitt came on for Dieseruvwe.

The last 15 minutes was frantic as Nevitt’s impact was impressive at both ends of the pitch and a cross in added time nearly caught off the home goalkeeper but he pushed the ball away.

The score finished 0-0 and Rovers are yet to concede in the league, and remain unbeaten in League Two. 

Tranmere: Murphy, Cogley, Davies, Clarke, Knight-Percival, Morris, Spearing, Watson (Foley 65), Feeney (Glatzel 65), Dieseruvwe (Nevitt 75). Unused subs: Doohan, Jolley, Maguire, Hayde

Tranmere’s next game will be on Saturday at home to Newport County, 3pm kick-off and tickets remain on sale!

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account