Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Exeter City 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

11 December 2021

Match Reports

Exeter City 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

11 December 2021

Tranmere Rovers picked up an hard earned win on the road on Saturday thanks to a singular goal from Elliott Nevitt.

The win takes Rovers up to 8th in Sky Bet League Two after 10 points out of the last 12 available in the league.

The first real attack of note came on the 10th minute as Brown beat the offside trap and picked out Matt Jay inside the box but a combination of Clarke and Foley stopped the shot in a tight space.

Five minutes later and Rovers struck the woodwork. Hawkes put his laces through a free kick from 25 yards which dipped and swerved before Dawson tipped onto the post. 

Shortly after and Rovers did break the deadlock. Dacres-Cogley shifted the ball down the line and crossed to Nevitt who rifled a shot low past the home keeper and into the far corner.

On the 30 minute mark, Exeter had their best chance of the half. A barrage of shots were blocked inside the Rovers box before Matt Jay eventually dragged a shot wide of the mark from 12 yards.

Just on the stroke of half time, Sam Foley was founded 20 yards out but Josh Hawkes curling effort couldn’t find the target.

Tranmere started the second half really brightly. Kieron Morris broke forward and picked out Hawkes who was free at the back post but Dawson was equal to his first time volley.

From the resulting corner, Rovers hit the woodwork once again. Hawkes’ corner was flicked on by Jevani Brown who headed against his own post before the ball ran out of play.

It was the home side with the possession but Rovers creating the chances. This time, on the 70th minute, Spearing lofted a ball over the top of the Exeter defence for Hawkes to run on to. His one on one effort was saved by Dawson before Jolley’s follow up was blazed over the bar.

The Tranmere defence was standing firm following late pressure from the Grecians. Former TRFC player Jake Caprice picked out Matt Jay in the box but Doohan was equal to his front post shot.

Rovers had to defend the remaining six minutes with ten men as Callum McManaman slid in late on Kyle Taylor and was dismissed by referee Bobby Madley.

Despite that, Tranmere held on for a deserved and vital three points in Devon.

Tranmere Team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Clarke, Davies, MacDonald, Hawkes (Merrie 79’), Spearing, Foley, Morris, Nevitt (O’Connor 79’), Jolley (McManaman 82’)

Unused subs: Murphy, Feeney, Watson, Maynard

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account