Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bristol Rovers 2-2 Tranmere Rovers

20 November 2021

Match Reports

Bristol Rovers 2-2 Tranmere Rovers

20 November 2021

Tranmere Rovers played out a 2-2 draw on the road on Saturday afternoon at the Memorial Stadium.

Micky Mellon made three changes to his starting line up after last weeks’ defeat to Sutton United. Josh Hawkes, Paul Glaztel and Lee O’Connor all came into the fold to start against The Gas.

It was the hosts who started the quicker of the two sides as they opened the scoring in the fifth minute of the game. A free kick into the Tranmere box was half cleared before Finlay clipped the ball towards the back post where Josh Grant was on hand to loop a header over Doohan in the Rovers goal.

On the 15th minute mark, Josh Hawkes produced the first moment of note for Tranmere. He controlled 25 yards out and looked to curl a left footed shot but it landed a few yards wide of left hand post.

Shortly after, the hosts had doubled their lead. Evans’ corner from the left went over the head of Doohan before being prodded towards and was eventually fired in by Nicholson from all of two yards.

Just three minutes later and Tranmere had a goal of their own. MacDonald brilliantly controlled and turned at the back post before expertly curling the ball into the far corner past Belshaw.

Just before the break, Tranmere nearly fashioned an equaliser. Morris played a neat one two with O’Connor before drilling a shot on target at the front post however Belshaw stood tall to palm it around the post.

In the opening exchanges of the second period, Anthony Evans showed his pace to burst into the Tranmere box but Clarke recovered in time to just about put him off as he sliced his shot wide.

At the other end, former Bristol City man Nicky Maynard had a volley blocked inside the box following Kieron Morris’ cushioned header.

On the 57th minute, Bristol Rovers nearly gifted an equaliser. Josh Grant played the ball straight to Josh Hawkes who was 30 yards out but his curling effort couldn’t find the target as Belshaw was scrambling back to his goal.

An ever threat all afternoon, Josh Hawkes beat two men by cutting inside but his low drive was well gathered by Belshaw.

Just past the hour mark and The Gas nearly extended their lead. Anderson’s cross from the right bobbled around the box before Spence’s fierce strike was well blocked by the head of Peter Clarke at the front post.

With 15 minutes remaining, Tranmere were level. Josh Hawkes’ corner from the right was met by the head of Paul Glatzel who powered home into the bottom left corner.

Tranmere went in hunt for the win with momentum in their favour. Morris threaded a ball through towards Maynard who was through on goal before Belshaw came out to clear. His clearance rebounded off the striker and just out of his reach.

In added time, the home side could have snatched it. Whelan’s cross to the back post went over the head of Clarke and onto the foot of Evans just yards out but the ball went up instead of forwards and Doohan claimed.

That proved to be the final action of the game with the spoils shared at the Memorial Stadium.

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Knight-Percival, Clarke, Davies (Foley 73’), MacDonald, O’Connor, Morris, Hawkes, Glatzel, Nevitt (Maynard 45’)

Unused subs: Murphy, Duffy, Feeney, Watson, McManaman

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account