Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Crawley Town 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

6 November 2021

Match Reports

Match Report: Crawley Town 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

6 November 2021

Tranmere Rovers advanced through to the next round of the FA Cup after a solid win away at Crawley Town

The game started at a slow pace with the ball spending a lot of time in the air with neither side enjoying a spell of possession.

Rovers thought they had carved out a golden opportunity when Watson lofted a ball in behind for Feeney who would’ve been one on one if it wasn’t for the offside flag being raised.

The first chance of note came in the 14th minute. Nadesan showed blistering pace down the right to get into the box, he cut the ball back towards Appiah but the striker couldn’t connect with the cut back from ten yards out.

Shortly after, an Archie Davies cross from the right was flicked on by Appiah inside the box but Doohan held onto the effort in the Rovers goal.

Tranmere first shot on goal came through Ryan Watson. Nevitt controlled on the edge of the box and left the ball for Watson to strike from 25 yards but his effort dragged wide.

With Tranmere getting their foot on the ball more and more, McManaman found space on the left and teased a cross to the back post. Watson attacked it but couldn’t get enough on the header to direct it goal wards.

Crosses were the main source of threat for both sides in the first half. Dacres-Cogley this time stood a cross up to Nevitt at the back post but his header on the stretch went over the bar.

Five minutes before the break, Rovers edged in front. O’Connor picked the ball up in space on the right and delivered a perfect cross onto the head of McManaman. His header was well saved by Morris but McManaman was quickest to react to pass the ball into the far corner to give Tranmere the lead at the break.

It was Tranmere who started the second half the brightest of the two teams. Nevitt was making himself a nuisance again as he laid to Feeney on the edge of the box and his curling shot deflected wide.

The hosts look to respond abruptly. Nicholls shrugged off the challenge of Clarke to tee up Powell but his side footed shot went a few yards past Doohan’s right hand post.

Crawley managed to enjoy their best spell of possession and pressure so far in the game around the 60th minute. Crosses and ball over the top were dealt with well by the Tranmere back line

In the 75th minute, Doohan produced a great save to keep the scores at 0-1. Frost’s corner from the right was met by Appiah on the volley but Doohan reacted well to get down low and keep it out.

Soon after, substitute Will Ferry showed intent as he shifted the ball on the edge of the box but then blazed his shot well over the bar.

Besides some late Crawley pressure around the Rovers box, Tranmere managed the game well and held on for the victory and booking their place in round two of the Emirates FA Cup

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Clarke, Knight-Percival, MacDonald, Spearing, O’Connor, Watson (Davies 77’), Feeney (Foley 73’), McManaman, Nevitt (Dieseruvwe 81’)

Subs not used: Murphy, Merrie, Morris, Glatzel, Maynard, Duffy

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account