Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Leyton Orient

18 December 2021

Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Leyton Orient

18 December 2021

A brilliant strike from Jay Spearing earned Tranmere Rovers three points to make it four league wins in a row against Kenny Jackett’s Leyton Orient.

Rovers began the game the better of the two sides, having the majority of the possession for the first 20 minutes at Prenton park.

But without any clear-cut chances, Orient grew into the game and had a few chances of their own.

Orient striker Harry Smith was causing problems with his arial ability as well as showing some good footwork in tight areas and won a free kick which was struck goalward by Dan Kemp but it was held well by Ross Doohan.

Kemp dragged an effort wide just minutes later but the shot failed to trouble the Rovers goalkeeper.

As Orient looked to end the half the stronger of the two sides, it was Rovers who forced either goalkeeper into a first real save as Josh Hawkes drove down the left-hand side before seeing a driven shot pushed away by Orient ‘keeper Lawrence Vigouroux.

The second half got off to a similar start to the first with Rovers having a lot of the possession without creating too many chances.

But the deadlock was broken on 58 minutes after good work from Josh Hawkes on the left allowed the winger to lay off Jay Spearing who’s thunderous strike found the top right corner and gave Rovers the lead at Prenton Park.

There was three bookings in the Orient defence as Josh Hawkes was causing huge problems for the Orient defence down the left hand-side.

Hawkes then forced a great save from Vigouroux as he cut in from the right-hand side and powerfully shot towards the far corner. 

The visitors piled on the pressure towards the end of the game, creating a number of opportunities as the Rovers’ defence was put to the ultimate test.

First from a corner as centre-half Dan Happe headed over after rising highest from a corner, and then an outstanding effort from substitute Paul Smyth which forced a remarkable save from Rovers keeper Ross Doohan.

The final opportunity came in the 89th minute as Orient striker Harry Smith had a free header six yards out from goal but his effort sailed wide of the near post.

After four minutes of added time, the referees final whistle was sounded and it was four wins in a row for Tranmere. 

The result means Tranmere jump up to 5th in the table and just a point outside the automatic promotion spots.

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Clarke, Davies, MacDonald, Hawkes (Merrie 90'), Spearing, O'Connor, Morris, Jolley (Watson 88'), Nevitt

Unused subs: Murphy, Duffy, Feeney, Maynard, Maguire

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account