Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere 2-2 Oldham

20 February 2021

Match Reports

Tranmere 2-2 Oldham

20 February 2021

Tranmere Rovers were held to a frustrating 2-2 draw at home to Oldham Athletic at Prenton Park.

Rovers had numerous chances to win the game but it was the away side who will leave Wirral the happiest. 

Oldham shocked Tranmere by taking a second minute lead as David Keillor-Dunn continued his excellent form in front of goal for the visitors by slotting home after a mazey run from midfield.

Tranmere were looking for a quick response against the Greater Manchester outfit with a James Vaughan free-kick and a Kaiyne Woolery header in the opening 15.

The best opening came with 18 on the clock when a nice move on the left resulted in a nice dummy by Liam Feeney to allow Paul Lewis to take a shot, but he didn’t connect well and his effort was wide.

Tranmere came close to their equaliser in the 32nd minute, when Vaughan hit a powerful half volley from the edge of the box, with the keeper only able to parry. Woolery was quickest to react to the rebound, but Oldham managed to scramble clear.

Rovers were pushing for an equaliser, and again came close when a cross from the right was very nearly turned home by Vaughan, only for an Oldham player to deflect for a corner.

Tranmere had a golden opportunity to draw level when Vaughan was tripped in the penalty box, but unfortunately, our top goal scorer missed from the penalty box, with the goalkeeper making a fine save.

In the 41st minute, Tranmere drew level with a stunning strike from MacDonald as he won the ball on the edge of the Oldham box, collected a one two and then hit an unstoppable shot with his right foot for his first TRFC goal.

Oldham were reduced to ten men at the beginning of the second half when Sido Jombati was dismissed for a second yellow card.

The game soon turned on its head and Rovers took the lead soon after Jombati’s dismissal as Feeney was left in acres on the right, his cross was hit by Vaughan, which was deflected into the path of the grateful Woolery to tap home.

Tranmere were pressing for a third and after a great team move, Vaughan swivelled away from his marker to fire just wide of the left hand post.

It was one way traffic at Prenton Park, as Rovers went in search of a third goal, Vaughan again coming close as his header from a Feeney corner was notched off the line.

The first change for Rovers happened in the 75th minute as David Nugent came on for his debut, replacing Vaughan in a like for like change.

Oldham drew level in the 78th minute with a wonder strike from the edge of the penalty area from Dylan Bahamboula, a world class finish from the Latics man giving Scott Davies no chance from 20-yards out.

The second Tranmere sub saw Corey Blackett-Taylor come on in place of Morris as Rovers tried to push for the winning goal.

However, Rovers couldn't capitalise on the extra man advantage and Oldham took home a point. 

Our next match is on Tuesday night with a trip to Carlisle United, 7pm kick-off and the game will be on iFollow, available to watch for just £10. CLICK HERE to subscribe. 

Davies, MacDonald, Clarke, Monthe, O’Connor, Spearing, Lewis, Feeney, Morris, Woolery, Vaughan (75). Unused subs: Murphy, Ray, Ridehalgh, Crawford, Kirby.

The match report is sponsored by MAIN.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account