Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 2-1 Peterborough

2 February 2021

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 2-1 Peterborough

2 February 2021

Tranmere Rovers are now 90 minutes away from booking their place at Wembley after a 2-1 win against League One side Peterborough United in the Papa John’s Trophy.

Rovers overcome the League One side in the quarter finals, to put their name into the hat in the last four of the competition, with the goals coming from ex Posh man Danny Lloyd and Paul Lewis.

Lloyd bent in an excellent free-kick in the first half to get Tranmere on their way, before a late header from Lewis doubled Tranmere’s advantage.

Peterborough sub Jonson Clarke-Harris converted from the spot in the 90th minute to halve the deficit.

Tranmere made seven changes from last weekend’s win at Morecambe, notably Lee O’Connor and Sid Nelson returned to the side after spells on the sidelines.

Rovers made a strong start against the League One side, but the hosts were given an early scare when a back pass to Joe Murphy somehow nearly trickled over the line, but luckily, no goal was given.

Tranmere were competing well and more than a match for Boro, but were causing their own problems, as another misplaced pass at the back let United in, but luckily a combination of goalkeeper and defender cleared.

In 21st minute, Nya Kirby, on his second start for the Club, unleashed a powerful strike from range which narrowly missed the target.

Tranmere were moving the ball around with confidence and even though they had a couple of scares from the visitors, the way they were playing will have pleased boss Keith Hill.

What will have pleased manager Hill even more is when former Peterborough man Lloyd curled a delightful free-kick from 25-yards into the far left hand corner to give the home side the lead, with 38 minutes played, after Calum MacDonald was hacked down.

Peterborough rang the changes at half time, with three regular first team players introduced as they looked for a way back into the cup tie against Rovers.

A breath taking move from Tranmere saw the first chance of the second period with 53 gone, as the ball was worked well to MacDonald as he cut in from the left to force a great save from Peterborough goalkeeper, Christy Pym.

With 57 played, Tranmere’s first change occurred as goal scorer Lloyd was taken off for fellow attacker, Kaiyne Woolery.

It was nearly an immediate impact from the match winner against Morecambe, last time out, as he used his power to drive at the Peterborough defence, only to hit his effort just wide.

Peterborough gave Tranmere a reminder they are well in the match in the 63rd minute, as substitute Samuel Szmodics curled an effort destined for the left hand corner, but was denied by a smart Murphy save.

Tranmere were limiting the League One side to shots from the edge of the penalty area, as the defensive unit remained firm.

Rock and roll football was certainly on show for the home side, as there passing was a joy to watch, as Woolery had another strike on goal from distance which was well saved by Pym.

The second change for Rovers saw Kirby, after an impressive display, taken off for Kyle Hayde, with just over ten minutes remaining.

Another heart in your mouth moment for Tranmere, as a cross from the left evaded everyone, took a deflection off Liam Ridehalgh and came back off the post.

Immediately, Tranmere raced at the other end and an Khan cross from the right was deep to the back post and was met by Lewis’ header to direct the ball into the far corner.

The third TRFC change saw Danny Walker-Rice replace Morris in the 88th minute. Seconds later, Peterborough were awarded a penalty after a late challenge by Khan, a decision which looked very harsh and gave the visitors a lifeline, Clarke-Harris converting from the spot.

The penalty set up a nervy finish but Tranmere held on to seal their passage into the semi-finals of the Papa John’s Trophy.

Tranmere: Murphy, Ridehalgh, Ray, Nelson, MacDonald, Khan, Lewis, Kirby, O’Connor, Morris (Walker-Rice 88), Lloyd (Woolery 57). Unused subs: Davies, Ellis, Burton, Burton.    

Our next game is this weekend at home to Port Vale, kick-off 3pm. To subscribe to the game and watch on iFollow, please CLICK HERE.

The match report is sponsored by MAIN.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account