Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 3-2 Harrogate

26 January 2021

Match Reports

Report: Tranmere 3-2 Harrogate

26 January 2021

Tranmere Rovers made it three league wins in a row with a hard fought 3-2 victory against Harrogate Town.

Rovers had to come from behind to seal the win with a brace from James Vaughan and a goal by Kaiyne Woolery, as the visitors were reduced to ten men in the second period. It is now five matches unbeaten for Tranmere in the league.

For the third game in a row, Rovers named an unchanged line up as they looked for win number three inside seven days.

It was a frantic start at Prenton Park with the Yorkshire visitors having the better of the early sights on goal, but Scott Davies, on his 250th appearance for the Club, was equal to the two efforts.

It was a slow start from the hosts compared to the last two performances, and Rovers had a real battle on their hands against last season’s National League Play-Off winners.

Tranmere’s first meaningful chance came with 24 minutes on the clock as nice build up play saw Danny Lloyd strike on goal, but his effort was well saved.

However, a minute later, Harrogate took what is fair to say a deserved lead as Josh McPake found space on the left hand side to strike the ball from inside the penalty area past Davies.

At the other end, looking for an instant reaction, Otis Khan hit a 25-yard free kick over the wall but easily into the keeper’s arms.

Tranmere were given a way back into the match in the 34th minute as Manny Monthe, on his birthday, was hacked down by a blue shirt, giving the referee no option but to point to the spot.

Up stepped, you guessed it, top goal scorer, Vaughan, to fire Tranmere back level with a calm penalty down the middle.

The first half concluded with a lot of feisty tackles flying in as both teams looked set for an important 45 minutes of football.

Rovers came racing out of the traps in the second half and scored two goals within two minutes, from two Liam Feeney corners.

Woolery and Vaughan were the goal scorers, the first by the former Swindon man who latched onto a Peter Clarke to stab the ball home.

The second, and a brace for Vaughan as he was quickest to react to a Paul Lewis to tap it in from all of one yard out as Tranmere took control of the game.

The tackles were still flying in and Harrogate were reduced to ten men when Connor Hall was given a second yellow card after slicing down Woolery, with referee Andy Haines sending the Town man for an early shower!

However, Town pulled a goal back with ten men as sub Josh March connected with a free-kick to flick the ball beyond the Rovers defence and into the top corner.

Two subs followed for TRFC as Liam Ridehalgh and Keiron Morris replaced Woolery and Lloyd with 18 minutes remaining.

An excellent save from the Harrogate keeper kept the score at 3-2 when a Feeney cross from the right was met by MacDonald with a diving header, but the keeper somehow was able to keep it out.

Tranmere had another golden chance with Vaughan and MacDonald making back post runs and free, but Feeney, which is very unlike him, overcooked his cross and it went over the bar.

Tranmere made two changes in added time as Vaughan and Feeney came off for Morgan Ferrier and George Ray.

MacDonald had another glorious opportunity to confirm the victory but at the back post, he fired over the bar as the scored remained the same. However, it didn’t matter and Rovers made it three wins on the spin and five unbeaten in the league.

Our next game is at Morecambe this weekend and the game will be live on iFollow, the cost £10. To purchase a match pass for the 3pm kick-off on Saturday 30th January, please CLICK HERE.


Tranmere: Davies, Khan, Clarke, Monthe, MacDonald, Spearing, Lewis, Feeney (Ray 90, Woolery (Morris 72), Lloyd (Ridehalgh 72), Vaughan (Ferrier 90). Unused subs: Murphy, O’Connor, Kirby


The match report is sponsored by MAIN.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account