Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stevenage 0-0 Tranmere

16 January 2021

Match Reports

Stevenage 0-0 Tranmere

16 January 2021

Tranmere Rovers' first league match of 2021 was a deserved point at Stevenage after a 0-0 draw at the Lamex Stadium.

Both teams had chances throughout, but in a tight affair, the points were shared between Rovers and Boro. 

Peter Clarke and Calum MacDonald made their return to the TRFC starting XI for the clash at Boro. There was also a place on the bench for on loan Blackpool winger, Liam Feeney, after his recent absence from the first team squad.

Stevenage, managed by Alex Revell, included an experienced line up with former Southend man Ben Coker and Scott Cuthbert starting.

Rovers, donning their black and blue trim away strip, had a great opportunity in the opening seconds when a delightful free-kick from Otis Khan just evaded the head of Manny Monthe, as our towering number six escaped his marker.

Tranmere’s next sight on goal yet again came from a Khan cross, this time Paul Lewis was on the end of the delivery, but he couldn’t make a clean connection to cause a concern for home stopper Jamie Cumming.

The visitors were certainly the team more pro-active in possession in the opening 25 minutes, as they looked for a break through against a resilient Stevenage side.

But the best chance in the first 30 at the Lamex Stadium fell to the hosts, as Luke Norris leaped above Khan to send a header goal bound, but Davies was equal and the Boro man could have tested the TRFC skipper more.

From out of nowhere, moments after Stevenage’s header, a cross-cum shot from Morgan Ferrier caught everyone off guard, as it rattled the outside of the post.

Again, Norris was the dangerman for the hosts, as he had another opportunity on goal, but he thrashed his shot wide of Scott’s near post.

The latter stages of the first period and the early parts of the second half were a scrappy affair between two teams trying to gain control of the contest.

The first change of the game for Tranmere came in the 55th minute as Feeney was introduced for Woolery, who had made his first appearance since signing his new contract until the end of the season.

Tranmere came within inches of taking the lead in the 57th minute, as Vaughan sweetly turned his man in the penalty area but the goalkeeper made the save.

A very close call for Tranmere with 25 minutes remaining as a shot from the left hand side flashed just wide of Davies’ far post.

The second change for Rovers came in the 68th minute as Danny Lloyd was introduced for Ollie Banks. And the third substitution took place for TRFC in the 77th minute as Corey Blackett-Taylor came on for Ferrier.

In the dying moments, Davies pulled off an excellent save at his near post as Rovers returned back to Prenton Park with a point. 

Our next match will be on Tuesday night when we face Forest Green Rovers at Prenton Park, 7pm kick-off. The game will be available to watch live on iFollow for the price of £10. To subscribe, please CLICK HERE.


The match report is sponsored by MAIN. Please CLICK HERE to visit their website.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account