Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stalybridge Celtic 1-3 Tranmere Rovers

20 July 2021

Match Reports

Stalybridge Celtic 1-3 Tranmere Rovers

20 July 2021

Goals from Callum McManaman, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe and Keiron Morris sealed a 3-1 win for Tranmere Rovers at Stalybridge Celtic.

An experienced Tranmere Rovers team took to the field for the pre-season friendly at Stalybridge, with a first outing for McManaman.

It didn’t take the former Wigan man long to make an impact, scoring within the first two minutes, catching the goalkeeper off his line, he chipped the ball over him from just outside the box in front of the travelling Tranmere supporters.

The temperature was high and certainly difficult conditions for the players to compete in, but Rovers looked comfortable against their opponents, showing positive signs when in possession.

Chances for both sides were at a premium but Rovers certainly looked the most likely to score first, and were controlling the tempo of the match in Greater Manchester.

A nice passage of play led to a Liam Feeney strike from the edge of the penalty area but it deflected over for a corner. From the resulting set piece, Tom Davies headed wide of the mark.

Chances started to present themselves to TRFC, as Paul Glatzel and Peter Clarke both had half chances for the visitors as they looked to extend on McManaman’s opener.

Dieseruvwe came within an inch of his first goal for the Club as clever work from Glatzel on the left picked out our centre forward but the ball was just behind him.

Tranmere’s pressure resulted in a penalty kick in the 37th minute and Dieseruvwe got his first goal in Rovers colours, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way after McManaman was tripped in the box after a run from the right flank.

Tranmere made six changes heading into the second half, with the likes of Kieron Morris, Nathaniel Knight-Percival and Ryan Watson introduced.

The weather was a lot cooler in the second period with the sun setting but Tranmere’s work rate continued to be high as they looked to build on their two goal advantage against the Northern Premier League Premier Division side.

A cross from Josh Cogley was met by the head of Morris, with the ball going just over the frame.

Tranmere were consistent with their pressure inside the opposition half, and Micky Mellon will have been pleased with his team’s work rate throughout the game.

A bullet header from Davies saw Tranmere denied once more but with just under 15 minutes to go, the visitors gave away a penalty as sub Max Fisher brought down a host player, who stepped up and cheekily paneka chip the ball past Ben Jones, who had just replaced Joe Murphy in goal.

However, the two goal advantage was quickly restored as Morris headed home a cross from the left to make it 3-1, Fisher with the cross, a great reaction after giving away the penalty only moments before.

Charlie Jolley was looking lively on the left and he nearly put away a fourth, only for a goal line clearance by a home orange shirt.

Rovers comfortably saw out the remainder of the game to seal a second pre-season win.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account