Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Carlisle 0-1 Tranmere

16 October 2021

Match Reports

Report: Carlisle 0-1 Tranmere

16 October 2021

Tranmere Rovers recorded their first away league win of the season with a deserved 1-0 win at Carlisle United.

The match winning moment came via an own goal early in the second half, but Rovers, backed by 899 away supporters, made it six games unbeaten in League Two, winning five of those matches. 

Micky Mellon named an unchanged line up and bench from our last game against Colchester United eight days ago.

Tranmere had the ball in the net after three minutes when Foley converted a free-kick from Kieron Morris after a Peter Clarke knockdown, but the linesman ruled for offside straight away, no complaints from the team in yellow.

Carlisle had their first attempt on target in the fifth minute as Zach Clough got on the end of a loose ball in the Tranmere penalty area, but Ross Doohan pushed the ball to safety.

The 23 minutes that followed saw both teams have half chances, without either Doohan or United shot stopper, Mark Howard, who was making his debut, tested.

In the 28th minute, however, former Liverpool man Jay Spearing, looking for his first goal of the season, took aim from 25-yards, but he shot straight down the throat of the goalkeeper, resulting in a comfortable save.

Hawkes, a real threat for Rovers on the left channel, cut inside and escaped the attention of Corey Whelan but his long range shot was too high and over the cross bar.

Tranmere kicked off the second half in emphatic fashion, and as we did three years ago, we took the lead at Brunton Park courtesy of an own goal from Carlisle after a Rovers cross was slid into their own goal by a United player. The cross came from Kieron Morris this time around and Rod McDonald with the own goal.

Carlisle nearly hit back immediately but denied by a world class save by Doohan, the on loan Celtic shot stopper getting down to make a point blank save from Jon Mellish.

Tranmere were handed a glorious opportunity to double their lead in the 54th minute when Hawkes was hacked down in the penalty box. Morris, who put the cross in for the goal, stepped up for Rovers but his penalty was saved by Howard.

With nearly 1,000 Tranmere fans in attendance in Cumbria, Rovers had to make sure they didn’t let Carlisle gain momentum from their penalty save, and Mellish again went close for the hosts, just missing the bottom right hand corner from 25-yards with Doohan stretching.

In the 65th minute, the away support did a round of applause for TRFC steward Phil Haynes, who sadly passed away on Friday evening.

Rovers made their first change with 72 on the clock, as Hawkes came off for Liam Feeney. In the 76th minute, Lee O’Connor came on for Morris.

Looking for his fourth league goal in three matches, Clarke got on the end of a Feeney free-kick but he couldn’t get any power on his attempt to test the goalkeeper.

Tranmere nearly put the game to bed with eight minutes remaining as Foley raced through on goal but with three United defenders around him and a tight angle, Howard was able to make the save.

Tranmere’s third change occurred in the 88th minute as Ryan Watson replaced Calum McManaman. Mellon's men held on for all three points to seal a first win on the road in the league, a thoroughly professional display from start to finish. 

Tranmere: Doohan, Cogley, Davies, Clarke, MacDonald, Spearing, Foley, Morris (O’Connor 76), McManaman (Watson 88), Nevitt, Hawkins (Feeney 72). Unused subs: Murphy, Knight-Percival, Maynard, Duffy.

Tickets for Tranmere Rovers’ home match against Northampton Town on Saturday 23rd October are now on sale via


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account