Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Hartlepool United 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

16 August 2022

Match Reports

Hartlepool United 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

16 August 2022

Tranmere Rovers picked up a hard earned point following a goalless draw against Hartlepool United on Tuesday night.

Neither side could break the deadlock at a blustery Suit Direct stadium despite Rovers having the better of the chances.

The opening exchanges were fairly cagey. McAlear released Lewis down the left who looked to pick out Nevitt in the box but he lost his footing at the vital moment as he went to cross.

The home side applied some pressure themselves with a series of corners into dangerous areas but Jameson stood tall to clear away with his head.

Hartlepool were close to shooting themselves in the foot in the 15th minute. A short back pass was nearly pounced upon by Hemmings as he slid in on the keeper and got a touch to the ball but it ricocheted into the air and Killip caught it.

Rovers’ high press was starting to cause Pools some problems as Merrie picked the pocket of Lacey before Nevitt’s shot from the edge of the box was blocked by Menayese.

Nevitt had another chance not long after. He played a neat one two with Kane Hemmings but his left footed shot from inside the box was sliced wide.

Reece McAlear was next up to try his luck. Again linking up with Hemmings, his half volley was well caught by Killip before it could reach the top corner.

On the 28th minute, Hartlepool had their best chance of the game through Ryan Hastie. He ran through on goal with just Doohan to beat but the Rovers stopper spread himself to deny him with his chest.

Just before half time, Jordan Turnbull turned inside the box and volley into the roof of the net however the linesman had his flag up for a clear offside.

The hosts started the second half brighter and had a half chance through McDonald. He dropped his shoulder to create space in the box before firing a shot high and wide from inside the box.

Tranmere responded with a good chance of their own. Dacres-Cogley paced past his man into the box before forcing Killip to palm around his post from his left footed strike.

Again, Pool were caught with a sloppy pass at the back. This time Elliott Nevitt was presented an opportunity to get a strike away at goal but he hesitated and eventually sliced his shot wide of the target.

Past the hour mark, Bristow paced down the left and was very close to finding the head of Nevitt in the box. He kept the ball in and laid it off to McAlear on the edge of the box but he couldn’t keep his effort on target.

Second half substitute Josh Hawkes was next to test Killip. He got into the box and forced Killip to beat away a powerful front post strike.

The final chance of the game fell to Hawkes. Dacres-Cogley got to the byline and clipped a cross into the box which fell to Hawkes but his snapshot was blocked by Lacey and cleared.

Both sides had to settle for a point which sees Rovers pick up four points in the space of two games and will face another long journey on Saturday to face Newport County.

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Byrne, Turnbull (Hawkes 64’), Jameson, Bristow, Merrie, Lewis, McAlear, Nevitt (Mumbongo 74’), Hemmings

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account