Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barrow 1-2 Tranmere Rovers

29 December 2022

Match Reports

Barrow 1-2 Tranmere Rovers

29 December 2022

Tranmere Rovers secured a second consecutive victory over the Christmas period after defeating Barrow on Thursday night.

Goals from Jordan Turnbull and Kane Hemmings earned all three points for ten man Rovers.

Tranmere started the game in lightning fashion and broke the deadlock after just six minutes. Ethan Bristow’s corner from the right was met by Jordan Turnbull who turned the ball home on the volley and give Rovers the advantage in Cumbria.

The hosts responded with some pressure of their own with a couple of Jordan Stevens shots being blocked from the edge of the area.

Joel Mumbongo was using his physical presence up front and dispossessed Tyrell Warren on the left before cutting inside and drilling a shot a few yards wide of the post.

With half time approaching, Barrow restored parity. A quickly worked corner routine found Jordan Stevens waiting 25 yards out from goal before arrowing a powerful shot through a sea of bodies and beyond the fingertips of Ross Doohan into the bottom corner.

The home side had the momentum as the half drew to a close as Patrick Brough found space in the box and shot low but Jordan Turnbull was well placed to deny him from close range.

Tranmere got back on the front foot at the start of the second period as Josh Hawkes paced down the left before picking out an unmarked Kieron Morris at the back post who forced Josh Lillis into a fantastic save down to his left.

Approaching the hour mark and Barrow had a glorious chance to equalise. Ben Whitfield drilled a low cross along the six yard box which was begging to be tapped in but Josh Gordon was a stud away from it has he slid in.

Both sides weren’t afraid to have try their luck on goal as Ross Doohan got down well to gather a Ben Whitfield volley at the back post before Josh Hawkes’ curling effort from the left was palmed away by Lillis.

Things were about to become seemingly a lot harder for Rovers as substitute Paul Lewis was shown a straight red card. The ball bounced between the forward and the Barrow goalkeeper but Lewis was adjudged to have gone in dangerously with a high foot and was given his marching orders.

With just under ten minutes remaining, the SWA were sent into raptures as Kane Hemmings sublimely put Rovers ahead. Josh Dacres-Cogley ventured down the right before crossing to Hemmings who launched himself at the ball and powered a diving header beyond Lillis to put ten man Rovers in the driving seat.

Barrow threw everyone forward and had a golden opportunity to steal a point. Warren’s cross was palmed downwards by Doohan to Billy Waters who just had to hit the target from 8 yards but he lost his cool and blazed his effort over the bar.

Rovers stood firm for the remaining five minutes of added on time and recorded an impressive and definitely morale boosting victory in Cumbria.

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Davies, Turnbull, Bristow, Morris, Merrie, O’Connor, Hawkes, Hemmings, Mumbongo (Lewis 58’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account