Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Nantwich Town (4-5) on penalties

20 December 2022

Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Nantwich Town (4-5) on penalties

20 December 2022

Tranmere Rovers exited the Cheshire Senior Cup in the second round after a sudden death penalty shoot out loss to Nantwich Town on Tuesday night.

The first real sight of goal came the way of Rovers when Joel Mumbongo collected the ball on the left, drove inside and forced Thomas Booth into a sharp save down to his left hand side.

Mumbongo again had a chance to test the Nantwich stopper on the 22nd minute. McAlear’s clever ball in behind found Burton, his touch let him down but fell into the path on Mumbongo in the box but he was eventually dispossessed as he went to shoot.

Not long after and Rovers had their goal. Sam Taylor found the feet of Arthur Lomax inside the box who shifted one way and then the other before arrowing a low shot into the bottom corner and beyond Booth.

There was a nervous moment for Rovers just a few moments later when Cockerline closed down Hewelt’s attempt to play out from the back but luckily for the keeper, it rolled just past the post following the block.

Tranmere started the second half bright once again as Davies’ cross from the left was met by Taylor who shot on the turn which was blocked before McAlear’s low drive from the edge of the box was also cleared away.

Ex EFL winger James Caton got into a good position just before the hour mark but could only drag his low effort a few yards wide of the far post.

On the 75th minute, the visitors drew level. Caton’s cross from the left was perfectly placed onto the foot on Curtis Morrison who couldn’t miss from six yards out.

Lomax had a good chance to put Rovers ahead again with five minutes to go but he got underneath is volley and it sailed over the bar from inside the box.

It ended level and went to penalties…

The first two penalties each were both converted before Hewelt stood tall to keep out Nantwich’s third penalty try give Rovers the advantage. With the scores at 4-4 and Rovers having one left to take it was down to Kyle Jameson to send Rovers through however his low penalty was tipped around the post, sending it to sudden death.

Sherratt stepped up first for The Dabbers and tucked it away before Lomax aimed his penalty towards the bottom left corner but Booth was equal to it to send the visitors through to third round of the Cheshire Senior Cup.

Tranmere team: Hewlett, Edgar, Simeu (Kennedy 73’), Jameson, Davies (Lyall 67’), Taylor, Hughes, McAlear, Lomax, Mumbongo (Williams 45’), Burton

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account