Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Stevenage

1 February 2022

Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-0 Stevenage

1 February 2022

Micky Mellon’s side got back to winning ways with a 1-0 win over Stevenage thanks to a great strike from Kieron Morris early in the second half.

The win was a much needed one after a disappointing result at the weekend, but it was a pleasing result for Rovers as they gained all three points. 

The home side were by far the better side in the opening spells, dominating the early stages and having a couple of good chances.

Lee O’Connor had an early effort cleared off the line after Peter Clarke headed the ball across goal before Paul Glatzel was unlucky with a flicked header which was well saved by former Peterborough keeper Christy Pym just moments later.

But after surviving the early pressure, the visitors grew into the game and made it a fairly contested match for the large majority of the first period.

No clear-cut chances followed in the final half an hour of the first half, despite a couple of efforts from forward Kane Hemmings, none of which seemed to trouble Pym in the Stevenage goal.

The second half started off in similar fashion with Tranmere starting the better of the two sides.

But this time Rovers made their pressure count with a goal within the opening two minutes of the second half after a cross from the right found Hemmings who smartly laid the ball off to Morris who rifled home to open the scoring.

Stevenage again settled into the half as the 45 progressed, gaining more and more confidence as the half went on.

The visitors arguably threatened more out of the two sides despite never really troubling keeper Ross Doohan.

Luke O’Neill created a promising opening for himself before snatching at his effort which saw the ball go out for a throw-in on the far side.

Luke Norris then went close for the visitors as his acrobatic effort whistled just wide of Doohan’s post.

Despite the Stevenage pressure, Hemmings saw a bullet header fly back off the post with three minutes of normal time to play after great work from Josh Hawkes and Callum MacDonald on the left-hand side.

But Rovers survived the late balls into the box to hold out and get back to winning ways in front of the Super White Army with a 1-0 victory.

The win leaves Tranmere eight points behind league leaders Forest Green Rovers and four points ahead of fourth placed Sutton United.

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Clarke, Knight-Percival, MacDonald, McPake (Hawkes 51'), Spearing (Foley 45'), Morris, Glatzel (Merrie 85'), Hemmings

Unused subs: Murphy, McManaman, Nevitt, Jolley

Attendance: 5723 including 42 away fans

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account