Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Carlisle United 2-1 Tranmere Rovers

5 November 2022

Match Reports

Carlisle United 2-1 Tranmere Rovers

5 November 2022

Tranmere Rovers fell to defeat at the hands of Carlisle United on Saturday to exit the Emirates FA Cup at the first attempt.

Despite Neill Byrne’s header in the last ten minutes, Carlisle goals either side of the break was enough to see the Cumbrians into the hat for the second round.

Rovers had the first clear sight of goal when Kane Hemmings found space in behind courtesy of a Kieron Morris pass but his effort on the stretch was foiled by Holy.

The home side responded by carving out a chance of their own when Jack Ellis got to the byline and cut back to Callum Guy who shot low towards the bottom left corner but Tom Davies was there to block.

On the 18th minute Carlisle had a golden chance to open the scoring. Jordan Gibson’s shot from the edge of the box deflected into the path of Jon Mellish who rifled a shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

Just before the hour mark, the home side took the lead. Toby Sho-Silva broke the offside trap to get in behind before firing a shot towards goal which Ross Doohan spilled into the path of Gibson who fired into an empty net from close range.

Sho-Silva showed his pace again not long after by finding space in behind once again but Davies recovered well to deflect his shot wide of the front post.

Tranmere made a change at the break with Josh Hawkes replacing Kyle Jameson and a change of shape and it nearly paid dividend immediately.

Ethan Bristow’s cross looped up into the air and Dynel Simeu leapt highest to beat Thomas Holy to the ball but the referee signalled for a foul however there didn’t seem to be much in it.

Rovers seemed to have found their rhythm for the first time in the game and should have been level if it wasn’t for an excellent block by Huntington. Kieron Morris beat his man down the right and picked out Josh Hawkes who shot first time and was unlucky not to score.

It was a sucker punch for Tranmere a few minute later when the Cumbrians doubled their advantage. Jayden Harris got into the Rovers box and rounded Ross Doohan before bundling the ball over the line despite the best efforts of Dynel Simeu.

As the game entered the final ten minutes, Tranmere gave themselves a lifeline. A quick free kick gave Kane Hemmings a chance to get a shot off inside the box which Holy parried into the path of Neill Byrne who duly obliged to head into an empty net.

Rovers huffed and puffed in the closing stages with crosses and set pieces into the box but Carlisle stood firm to secure their place in the next round of the Emirates FA Cup.

Tranmere Rovers team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Simeu (Taylor 90’), Davies (Byrne 75’), Jameson (Hawkes 45’), Bristow, Merrie, O’Connor (McAlear 60’), Morris, Lewis (Nevitt 60’), Hemmings

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account