Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers U18 3-1 Halifax Town U18

2 November 2022

Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers U18 3-1 Halifax Town U18

2 November 2022

Tranmere Rovers U18s progressed through to the second round of the FA Youth Cup after an extra time victory over Halifax Town U18s at Prenton Park.

Goals from Sam Taylor, Eric Byrne, and Charlie Glennon was enough to see off the Shaymen and advance in the competition.

Tranmere’s first attempt on goal came via Lewis Lyall’s free kick from 25 yards however he couldn’t get enough purchase on it and the Halifax wall did its job to block the effort.

Next up, first year professional, Sam Taylor, thought he’d broken the offside trap before lofting the ball over English in the Halifax net however the linesman had already signalled for offside.

The Shayman had their first sight of goal after 18 minutes when Mthabisi Chenembiri let loose from the edge of the box but it curled and swerved wide of the left hand post.

Midway through the half the visitors came very close to opening the scoring. Corey Pick collected the ball on the left, drove inside and unleashed a near post shot which which whistled inches wide of the target.

Minutes later Rovers did make the break through. Sam Taylor uses his pace to get in behind the Halifax defence and his ride footed shot went underneath English and into the Halifax net to give Tranmere the advantage in the tie.

Halifax wasted no time in trying to respond. A corner from the right dropped inside the six yard box and if it wasn’t for a vital block by Joe Owen, the visitors would have restored parity almost immediately.

In the opening stages of the second half, Taylor was causing Halifax problems again. The striker got in behind and into the Halifax box before volleying on the swivel but the effort flashed past the far post.

Just past the hour mark, with no glaring chances for either side so far in the second half, Halifax drew level. A deep free kick from the right was headed back across goal before Chenembiri prodded home from close range to make it a goal apiece.

Rovers looked to get back on the front foot and came close to edging back in front. James Flight’s free kick from the right nearly caught out the Halifax keeper before he clawed it out of the top corner to deny him.

There wasn’t much between the two sides in terms of chances until five minutes from time when Halifax had a half chance to win the game. Corey Pick found himself in space inside the box and looked to bend his effort into the far corner but put too much power on the shot.

In the 89th minute, Sam Taylor shifted the ball onto his left foot to cross to the arriving Jack Flight at the back post but he couldn’t keep his volley down on the stretch.

With neither team able to find the winner in normal time, the tie headed to extra time.

There was no sign of tiredness in the Rovers camp,however, as they regained the lead in the third minute of added time. Eric Byrne was perfectly set up on the edge of the box to rifle past English and into the bottom right corner of the net.

Not content with just the one goal lead, Rovers pressed for a third goal. Sam Taylor exploited the space down the left before drilling a shot to the near post which English saved with his feet.

Soon after, it was three. Taylor again finding joy down the left before playing a pinpoint cross along the six yard box for Charlie Glennon to finish beyond English and give Tranmere a two goal cushion.

And that was pretty much that with Rovers keeping Halifax at arms length for the second period of extra time and will advance through to play Lincoln City away in the second round of the FA Youth Cup.

Tranmere team: Khalid, Edgar, Davies, Owen, Lestrange, James Flight (C), Dyall, Byrne, Taylor, Jack Flight, Cahill

Subs: Cummins, Bull, Glennon, Bentley, O’Brien, Hoyle, Arunchot

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account