Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Harrogate Town 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

22 October 2022

Match Reports

Harrogate Town 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

22 October 2022

Tranmere Rovers picked up a hard earned point on the road on Saturday afternoon as they played out a 1-1 draw with Harrogate Town at the EnviroVent Stadium.

Jordan Turnbull’s second half equaliser cancelled out Matty Daly’s deflected first half strike to extend Tranmere’s unbeaten run in the league to six games.

It was a scrappy start to the encounter in Yorkshire with the ball being played in the air in the opening exchanges. Alex Pattison was the first to produce any goal mouth action when his cross from the right flashed across the face of goal and away from danger.

Tranmere's first and best chance of the half fell to Elliott Nevitt on the 17th minute. Great work by Dacres-Cogley on the right resulted in a cross finding Nevitt at the far post, he controlled and volleyed low but a great block by Kayne Ramsey denied him a certain goal.

Kieron Morris was next to try his luck. He picked the ball up in good position before driving forward and firing a low shot wide of the left hand post.

The hosts threatened to counter through Headley as he paced forward and burst into the final third before Simeu eventually went in with a crunching tackle on the edge of the box to clear.

Rovers were finding themselves in some positive areas of the pitch and this time Kane Hemmings dribbled into the box and shot low with his left foot which was deflected wide for a corner.

Headley again threatened from left back, this time getting into the box and seeing his fierce effort blocking by the sliding Jordan Turnbull.

The deadlock was broken on the 38th minute and it was the hosts who edged in front. Luke Armstrong broke the offside trap before rounding Ross Doohan and seeing his shot from a tight angle rebound off the post. Rovers missed their chance to clear their lines and Matty Daly was on hand to fire into the bottom corner via a deflection off Dynel Simeu.

Rovers regrouped at the break and came out for the second half with more intensity. Firstly, Simeu was on the end of Bristow’s corner but his close range header was caught by Peter Jameson in the Harrogate goal.

However, another set piece shortly after was to produce the equaliser. Josh Hawkes’ corner was flicked on by Kane Hemmings before Jordan Turnbull was on hand to smash the ball home from close range to put Rovers level and grab his first goal for the Club.

With Tranmere in the ascendency, it was nearly two in quick succession. Turnbull flicked on a long throw and Nevitt struck his volley from inside the box which hit the head of McArdle as it looked destined for the top corner.

Rovers kept the pressure on and shots from Hawkes and then Hemmings from 20 yards out were both saved by Jameson to keep the scores level heading into the closing stages.

Luke Armstrong unleashed a powerful shot from the corner of the box which landed a few yards over the bar with ten minutes to go to give Tranmere a reminder of their threat.

It could have been the hosts who stole it late on. Folarin was played in behind on the left and squared it across the goal to Armstrong who would have had a tap in if it wasn’t for the perfect positioning of Lee O’Connor. 

Tranmere piled on the pressure in the final few minutes with crosses and corners but the Sulphurites held out to claim a point and put a stop to Tranmere’s brilliant winning run.

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Turnbull, Simeu, Bristow, Morris, Merrie, O’Connor, Hawkes (Hughes 77’), Hemmings, Nevitt

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account