Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Sutton United 0-2 Tranmere Rovers

8 October 2022

Match Reports

Sutton United 0-2 Tranmere Rovers

8 October 2022

The SWA made it four consecutive league wins on Saturday, as they put in a fine display to earn a 2-0 win on the road at Sutton and continue their stunning streak of form.

It was a frenetic start to proceedings in South London, with the hosts making a lively start to the game. Omar Bugiel had the first attempt of the encounter, but his shot was comfortably saved by Ross Doohan in the Rovers goal.

Rovers' first chance of the game followed shortly after when Chris Merrie saw his strike deflect off Dynel Simeu and wide of the goal, after the Sutton wall had blocked a close-range free kick from Kane Hemmings in the build-up. The SWA were now starting to match the intensity being set by their opponents in the game's early exchanges.

After a few stoppages due to Sutton injuries, the SWA won a penalty from a dangerous set-piece, with Paul Lewis being brought down in the box. Skipper Kane Hemmings stepped up to take the spot kick and coolly converted for his third goal of the season.

After the goal, there was a slight lull in the action in South London. Josh Hawkes tried his luck from range, but his attempt cleared the roof of the visiting stand where the SWA supporters were housed.

By the 30-minute mark, Rovers were very much on top and had a chance to double their advantage with Josh Hawkes at the thick of things once again. This time he cut in from the left before aiming a low-driven strike into the gloves of Sutton goalkeeper Lewis Ward.

Rovers were rewarded for their dominance and did find their second goal just before the break. After a quick break from the SWA, Paul Lewis latched onto a pass from Kane Hemmings before firing past Lewis Ward in front of the travelling supporters. It was nothing less than what Tranmere deserved after an impressive first-half showing.

It was a much more even start to the second half in South London, with both sides exchanging possession in a spell where the two teams found opportunities hard to come by. At the midpoint of the second half, Jordan Turnbull headed over the goal after another dangerous set piece from Rovers.

With just ten minutes to go, Rovers survived a scare when Joe Kizzi fired over the bar from close range after a well-worked free kick. A reprimand for the SWA, as the hosts created a rare opportunity.

Micky Mellon's side would then see out the game's closing moments without trouble to earn a fourth consecutive league win and a fourth consecutive clean sheet. A much more businessman-like performance in the second half from Rovers to combat the threat of a much improved Sutton after the break.

An impressive afternoon's work for the SWA, all told, with first-half goals from Kane Hemmings and Paul Lewis enough to earn Rovers the three points. 

Next up for Rovers is a clash with Crewe on Friday night at Prenton Park, as the SWA go in hunt of a fifth consecutive league win.


Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Simeu, Turnbull, Bristow, O'Connor, Merrie, Morris (Hughes 82'), Hawkes, Lewis (Nevitt 72'), Hemmings

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account