Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Walsall 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

24 September 2022

Match Reports

Walsall 0-1 Tranmere Rovers

24 September 2022

Tranmere Rovers picked up their second away in the space on a week on Saturday afternoon after a dramatic win against Walsall at the Poundland Bescot Stadium.

A last gasp that Elliott Nevitt winner in front of the travelling Tranmere contingent was enough to send Micky Mellon’s men back to The Wirral with all three points.

The opening exchanges were fairly uneventful with both sides feeling their way into the game with a both sides putting crosses into the box but to no avail.

Danny Johnson’s volley from the edge of the box was the first shot on target after 11 minutes. His effort was deflected comfortably into the hands of Ross Doohan in the Rovers goal.

Rovers had to be on their toes once again to clear away a dangerous free kick from the left which dropped inside the six yard box but Kane Hemmings was alive to the danger to hack the ball away under pressure.

On the 20th minute, Rhys Hughes picked up the ball in space on the right and found the marauding Dacres-Cogley on the overlap but his cross to the back post was cleared.

With Tranmere enjoying more of the ball as the half went on, McAlear found a pocket of space and tried to loft a ball through to Hemmings but the ball skidded off the surface and Evans was off his line to collect.

Just before the break Walsall fashioned a good opportunity but couldn’t take it. Allen overlapped down to the left and had time to pick out a team mate in the box but the red shirts in the box weren’t on the same wavelength and the Rovers defence cleared the cut back.

Tranmere came out quickly after the break with Chris Merrie driving forward and feeding Dacres-Cogley who drove his shot low but was denied by Evans.

The Saddlers probed forward themselves next when Tom Knowles threaded a ball to Liam Gordon arriving at the back post but Doohan was off his line quickly to narrow the angle and force him wide.

The resulting corner almost resulted in the opening goal. The front post corner was flicked on before a header in the six yard box was kept out by Doohan to keep the game goalless.

On the 77th minute, Hemmings’ swerving shot was parried by Evans into a dangerous area but Clarke was well placed to clear.

Rovers had the momentum now and came close to an opener with five minutes left. Bristow’s corner was met by Turnbull at the back post who forced Evans into just about tipping over his bar.

As the game entered added time, Jacob Maddox had a chance to snatch it late on. He was played into space inside the box but sliced his shot at the pivotal moment and couldn’t hit the target.

Walsall would rue that missed chance as Rovers pushed forward. A patient build up ended up in Kieron Morris finding space and shooting powerfully from the edge of the box before Elliott Nevitt was there to head the rebound home in the 95th minute and send the SWA into raptures.

As soon as the game restarted, the referee blew for full time and Tranmere took all three points to cap off a successful week all round.

Tranmere team: Doohan, Dacres-Cogley, Simeu, Turnbull, Bristow, Hughes (Morris 45’), Merrie, McAlear, Hawkes, Lewis (Nevitt 60’), Hemmings

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account