Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

29 April 2023

Match Reports

AFC Wimbledon 1-1 Tranmere Rovers

29 April 2023

Tranmere Rovers took a point from their final away game of the season thanks to Sam Taylor’s first professional goal.

Rovers named an unchanged 11 from their victory at home to Grimsby last week, with the only change to the squad seeing Joe Murphy return to the bench.

Wimbledon worked the first chance of the game when Ali Al-Hamadi drove forwards into the Rovers box, but Jordan Turnbull got in well to knock the ball towards the onrushing Mateusz Hewelt.

Rovers responded with some pressure of their own, but the hosts continued to push on and threatened with a couple of balls sent into the Tranmere box which Harvey Saunders and Josh Dacres-Cogley were called into action to clear.

After undertaking their defensive duties, the pair soon combined at the other end of the pitch when the right-back chipped a cross into Saunders, but the forward’s header was just wide of the mark.

Wimbledon appealed for a penalty on the half-hour mark after a challenge just inside the Rovers box, but the linesman flagged for an offside in the build-up.

Saunders had to be replaced shortly before the break when he limped off with Football Education Programme graduate Sam Taylor coming on in his place.

Taylor combined with Dacres-Cogley in a smart one-two on the cusp of half-time, but it remained goalless at the break.

Rovers continued to search for the opener early in the second half, Kane Hemmings forcing Nathan Broome into a save with an effort from range, before Josh Hawkes evaded several defenders with a brilliant weaving run to lay the ball off for Taylor whose shot was misfired wide.

Wimbledon responded with an extended spell of pressure, Ethan Chislett seeing a shot fire narrowly wide as well as a couple of shots from Al-Hamadi which forced Hewelt into action.

The hosts forged a way through on 68 minutes when former Rovers youth player Al-Hamadi was played through inside the box to put Wimbledon in front.

11 minutes later Rovers were level though, Josh Hawkes working the left-hand side before squaring to Sam Taylor who scored his first professional goal with a fine finish into the far corner.

Rovers had another chance to score when Florent Hoti strode forward into the home box, but Lee Brown got in well to turn it behind for a corner.

Tranmere eventually came away with a point on the road in their final away game of the season.

AFC Wimbledon: Broome, Brown, Woodyard, Nightingale, Davison (Janneh, 65), Jaiyesimi (Pearson, 86), Chislett, Al-Hamadi, McAteer, Biler (Gunter, 81), Currie.

Subs: Tzanev, Gunter, Marsh, Janneh, Pearson, Jenkins, Bartley.

Tranmere Rovers: Hewelt, Dacres-Cogley, Davies, Turnbull, Bristow, Hendry, Hawkes, Hughes (O’Connor, 46) Turner-Cooke (Hoti, 55), Saunders (Taylor, 44), Hemmings.

Subs: Murphy, Hoti, O’Connor, Taylor, Mumbongo, Burton.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account