Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bootle FC 3-1 Tranmere Rovers

22 February 2023

Match Reports

Bootle FC 3-1 Tranmere Rovers

22 February 2023

A very inexperienced Rovers side were defeated in the Liverpool Senior Cup to the hands of Steve McNulty's Bootle side. 

It was a cagey opening to proceedings with both sides delivering crosses from the wide areas but both sets of defences dealt with them well.

The first opening on goal was on the 8th minute when Charlie Glennon blocked the Bootle Keeper’s clearance near the corner flag before crossing into a good area but no white shirt was there to meet it.

In the 17th minute, Millington drove forward in midfield and unleashed a shot from 25 yards but it sailed high and wide.

Rovers had shouts for a handball moments later when Edgar delivered a cross onto the head of Glennon followed by shouts of handball from the block but the ref waved play on.

On the half hour mark, James Flight cut a ball back into a good area after getting to the byline but Jack Bentley was there to clear the danger.

As half time approached, Bootle took the lead. Matty Devine whipped a cross in from the left before Nivaldo Rodrigues Ferreira powered a header home from close range.

It took until the 60th minute for the first chance of the second half. Peterson latched onto a bouncing ball in behind but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Mikey Davies ventured forward on the left before his cross took a wicked deflection and wrong footed the keeper but he just about managed to claw it from going over the line.

Not long after, Jack Flight met a cross at the back post but Robson did well to narrow the angle and block his volley.

On the 65th minute. The hosts doubled their advantage. Half time sub Daniel Lenehan was allowed time and space in the box before expertly lobbing the ball over Robson and into the net.

It was nearly three shortly after when Jack Flight got in behind on the right before Robson denied him from close range.

Lenehan nearly added to his tally when he produced a diving header at the back post but it landed just past the opposite post.

A third goal had been coming and it did come on the 76th minute. Tom Peterson controlled well on the left edge of the box before firing low past Robson to put Bootle out of sight.

Rovers replied with a consolation five minutes from time when Jack Bentley met a corner from the left a directed his header into the Bootle net.

It wasn’t to be for the young Rovers side and Bootle advanced through to the next round of the Liverpool Senior Cup.

Tranmere team: Robson, Edgar, Davies, Kennedy, Bentley, Lestrange, Dyall, Byrne, Williams, Glennon, Fisher

Subs: Benjamin, Khalid, McHugh, Martin, Rooke 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account