Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stockport County 3-2 Tranmere Rovers

4 February 2023

Match Reports

Stockport County 3-2 Tranmere Rovers

4 February 2023

Tranmere Rovers were defeated 3-2 away to Stockport County at Edgeley Park in Sky Bet League Two on Saturday afternoon.

Kyle Knoyle’s header in the opening 20 minutes sent Stockport ahead before Kane Hemmings levelled from the penalty spot.

Kyle Wootton was on target to put County into a half-time ascendancy prior to Will Collar adding a third goal 78 minutes into the match.

Kieron Morris struck a late consolation, with Micky Mellon's Rovers unable to find an elusive levelling goal.

Backed by over 1,500 of the SWA from the Wirral, Rovers started in positive fashion, with Lee O’Connor’s low daisy cutter from outside the box inside three minutes watched through a crowd of players and held by County goalkeeper Ben Hinchcliffe.

Stockport’s first movement into attacking position came soon after, as Myles Hippolyte was found by Callum Camps’ pass before he cut inside to strike across the turf which Kane Hemmings deflected the shot for a corner.

From the resulting corner, former Rovers man Neill Byrne flicked a header off target under pressure from Lee O’Connor after Chris Hussey’s set-piece.

Dave Challinor’s hosts were in front on 19 minutes after Knoyle guided his header from Hussey’s pinpoint cross into the box into Mateusz Hewelt’s bottom left-corner.

Rovers looked to get back into the contest, and Josh Hawkes’ corner was punched away by Hinchcliffe under pressure from Tom Davies.

Davies had to be well placed on the line on the half-hour to thwart Ryan Croasdale’s effort before Chris Merrie’s superb tackle denied Collar’s follow-up.

Rovers survived a scare after Daces-Cogley’s pass back was scuffed clear by Hewelt but only to the feet of Wootton, however the Polish stopper recovered to hold onto the curled attempt.

Hewelt had to be alert to race off his line to dive at the feet of Paddy Madden from Camps’ neat ball.

Mellon’s men were back in the game on 41 minutes when referee Christopher Pollard pointed to the spot after Hemmings was brought down by Akil Wright having been played through by Harvey Saunders’ through ball.

The Rovers captain stepped up to send Hinchliffe the wrong way, with his right-footed spot kick finding the bottom left-corner in front of a jubilant away end.

Stockport went very close to regaining their lead, but Wootton’s header in the box from Collar’s cross thumped off the post before being cleared to safety.

In first-half stoppage time, Rovers were behind again when Wootton profited from Dacres-Cogley’s high ball back to Hewelt was pounced on by the County forward who powered a header into the net.

Rovers kicked-off the second-half in search of an equaliser. Saunders' low drive was deflected for a corner.

Mellon made a double change on the hour as Regan Hendry and Logan Chalmers replaced Merrie and Hawkes.

Both substitutes were immediately involved, as they combined for Hendry to cross for Hemmings, though he turned his shot over the crossbar.

Rovers were incredibly unlucky not to draw level. Morris’ cross-field pass was helped on by Hemmings’ flick, which Ethan Bristow drove forward into space, with his left-footed cross clipping Hinchcliffe’s far post before being swept to safety.

Up the other end, Stockport hit the woodwork themselves. Wootton’s header from Hussey’s in-swinging corner came off the crossbar, with Jordan Turnbull steering the ball away from danger.

It was three for Stockport with 78 minutes played. Turnbull’s clearance from Hewelt’s short goal kick was charged down by Isaac Olaofe, with the Rovers stopper unable to deal with the loose ball which dropped to Collar, who stroked his right-footed into the bottom right-corner.

Rovers found a way back into the fixture with six minutes to play. Bristow’s long-throw was controlled by Burton who laid the ball back for Morris to hit left-footed first time which beat Hinchcliffe low into the far corner.

Burton almost equalised for Rovers in the 95th minute, but Hinchcliffe tipped Burton’s header from Hendry’s cross over the crossbar.

Next up for TRFC is a visit to Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday night.

Tranmere: Hewelt, Dacres-Cogley, Davies, Turnbull, Bristow, Merrie (Hendry 60), O’Connor (Lewis 86), Hawkes (Chalmers 60) Saunders (Burton 72), Hemmings © (Mumbongo 86)

Subs not used: Murphy, Walker

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account