Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Wigan Athletic

28 July 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Wigan Athletic

28 July 2023

Tranmere Rovers ended their preparations for the new season with a 1-1 draw against League One side Wigan Athletic at Prenton Park. 

In similar fashion to last Saturday’s draw with an Everton XI, both goals came in the second half of an eventful friendly underneath the floodlights. 

Harvey Saunders opened the scoring seven minutes after the restart, beating his man in a challenge before racing into the penalty area and slamming past Ben Amos. 

However, Latics youngster Joe Adams headed home with 20 to go, forcing a draw for the away side. 

Saunders didn’t start in Saturday’s game but was immediately into the action, cutting in from the right but seeing his effort drop wide of Amos’ goal after five minutes. 

At the other end, Wigan began to threaten. Stephen Humphrys was a constant thorn in the side of the hosts, he first headed over from close range before wriggling into the box and shaping to shoot, only to be denied by an excellent Josh Hawkes tackle. 

Callum Lang nodded off target in similar vein to Humphrys, before Rovers had their best chance of the half. Connor Jennings slipped an inch perfect ball through to Saunders who was denied by the outstretched Amos. 

After a quiet period, Charlie Wyke should’ve put the visitors in front, as he burst through on Luke McGee’s goal. Competing with a bobbling ball, the Latics forward lofted his effort over the Tranmere ‘keeper, but over the crossbar too. 

An ambitious strike from Humphrys put an end to a half of good chances, but no goals. James McClean attempted to break the deadlock soon after the restart but blazed a volley well over. 

In fact, it was Rovers who opened the scoring as Saunders came out the right side of a 50-50 challenge, burst into the box and smashed his effort past Amos on 52 minutes. 

Wigan attempted to hit back immediately, but McGee was on hand to deny Lang’s close-range volley with a stunning stop, one of many the Club’s new number one has pulled off in pre-season. 

Both sides continued to exchange chances, first Scott Smith curled over for the Latics before Paul Lewis’ first-time shot was saved after a good cross from Saunders on the left. 

Pressure from the visitors continued and eventually paid dividends, academy graduate Adams found the net with a header after 71 minutes. 

Summer signings Luke Norris and Kristian Dennis both returned from injury off the bench, but the offence came from Wigan, as Lang fired a free kick over. 

An uneventful final 10 minutes meant Tranmere ended their pre-season with a respectable draw against League One opposition. 

Next up for Rovers: The opening Sky Bet League Two fixture against Barrow at Prenton Park, on Saturday August 5th at 3pm. 

TRANMERE ROVERS: McGee, O’Connor, Leake, Davies ©, Yarney (Turnbull 62’), Lewis, Morris (Walker 46’), Hendry (Dennis 77’), Hawkes (Taylor 46’), Jennings (McAlear 72’), Saunders (Norris 72’). 

SUBS NOT USED: Jolley, Murphy, Hockenhull, Trialist 1. 


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account