Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Gillingham 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

11 March 2023

Match Reports

Gillingham 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

11 March 2023

Tranmere Rovers fell to defeat on the road in Sky Bet League Two on Saturday to the hands of Gillingham.

Shaun Williams’ first half header was followed by a late Conor Masterson strike to secure all three points for the home side.

It was a cagey opening to the encounter with any threat from either side coming from long throw ins or set pieces. Max Ehmer flicked on a long throw from the right which Joe Murphy bravely punched away from danger under pressure from a sea of blue shirts.

Shaun Williams was next to try his luck from a set piece when he met a corner at the back post which Murphy gathered amongst a melee of players.

Down the other end, Harvey Saunders met a looping Chris Merrie cross from the left but his header didn’t have the power to test Morris in the Gills' net.

David Tutonda showed his pace down the left hand side before firing a low cross which Murphy got his finger tips to and turned it around the post.

On the half hour mark, Regan Hendry drove into space in the Gillingham half before playing it out wide to the overlapping Dacres-Cogley who seen his low cross deflect just past the far post.

Moments later, the hosts opened the scoring. A corner from the left was floated in by Alex MacDonald and there was a free Shaun Williams, who had escaped his marker, to power a header beyond Murphy and into the Rovers net. 

Approaching half time, Regan Hendry again carried the ball into the Gillingham box before laying off to Josh Hawkes but his swerving shot went high and wide.

The second half started with the home side creating the chances. Tom Nichols was allowed freedom inside the box to get a header on target but it was straight down Murphy’s throat.

In the 60th minute, Nichols came close again to doubling the advantage when he leapt above Dacres-Cogley but his downwards header landed a yard wide of the post.

Substitute Joel Mumbongo tried to change the pattern of the game when he turned and dragged a shot wide from 25 yards.

With five minutes remaining, Gillingham put the game beyond doubt. Williams’ cross from an unorthodox position on the left went along the face of goal and Masterson was there, unmarked, to fire in from close range and secure all three points for Neil Harris’ side.

Tranmere team: Murphy, Dacres-Cogley, Turnbull, Jameson, Bristow, Hawkes (Chalmers 78’), Merrie, Hendry, O’Connor, Burton (Mumbongo 55’), Saunders.

Unused subs: Hewelt, Turner-Cooke, Fisher



Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account