Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Harrogate Town

31 March 2023

Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Harrogate Town

31 March 2023

Tranmere Rovers and Harrogate Town played out an end-to-end 1-1 draw on Friday night at Prenton Park.

Luke Armstrong’s early strike was levelled out by a Mark Oxley own goal from a wicked Rhys Hughes free kick in the first half.

It was a disastrous start to the game for Rovers when Harrogate opened the scoring in just the fourth minute. George Thomson was allowed the freedom of the right wing before delivering a cross for Luke Armstrong to stab home from close range.

Tranmere tried to respond quickly with crosses from either flank from Bristow and Dacres-Cogley but Harrogate kept switched on after their early goal to clear the danger.

Josh Hawkes combined well with Dacres-Cogley down the right before crossing low towards Rhys Hughes who looked to shoot but was beaten to the ball by his marker.

Armstrong was again the threat for the away side when he momentarily got in behind but Davies got back in position well to block his shot from the edge of the box.

On the half hour mark, Josh Hawkes delivered a free kick from the left which found Harvey Saunders at the back post but his looping header back across goal landed wide of the far post

Shortly after, Rovers drew level. Rhys Hughes stepped up to take a free kick roughly 30 yards out from goal and expertly curled his effort towards goal. The ball ricocheted off the post and onto the back of Oxley in the Harrogate net to officially register as an own goal. 

Tranmere had all of the momentum after that goal and nearly completed the turnaround moments later. Hawkes and Dacres-Cogley played a neat one two before the resulting cross deflected just past the head of Mumbongo.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first half. Olaigbe had an early sighter from the edge of the box which Hewelt got down sharply to.

Five minutes later, Rhys Hughes picked out Josh Hawkes on the edge of the box with a free kick. Hawkes drilled a low shot into a crowd of bodies before Harrogate cleared as Turnbull was about to prod it goalwards.

Hughes’ loose pass in midfield almost led to a Harrogate goal. Luke Armstrong bared down on goal looking to grab his second of the night but he dragged his shot narrowly wide of the far post.

Josh Dacres-Cogley beat his man on the right before cutting it back to Joel Mumbongo who seen his scuffed shot saved by Mark Oxley

With 20 minutes remaining the away side had a glorious chance to gain the advantage. Mateusz Hewelt produced an excellent double save to deny Olaigbe’s deflected strike from distance before spreading himself to deny the close range rebound.

With time ticking away, Kane Hemmings tried his luck from 25 yards and seen his effort deflect agonisingly wide of the post.

Harvey Saunders was next to try his luck and he turned smartly on the edge of the box before rifling a right footed shot narrowly over the bar.

Despite pushing hard, Rovers couldn’t find the elusive winner and had to settle for a point at Prenton Park despite a lot of their domination.

Tranmere team: Hewelt, Dacres-Cogley, Davies, Turnbull, Bristow, Merrie, Hendry, Hughes (Burton 81’), Hawkes, Saunders, Mumbongo (Hemmings 65’)

Subs: O’Connor, Hoti, Chalmers, Turner-Cooke, Taylor

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account