Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Bradford City U18s 2-0 Tranmere Rovers U18s

1 November 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Bradford City U18s 2-0 Tranmere Rovers U18s

1 November 2023

Tranmere Rovers U18s exited the FA Youth Cup in the first round proper after a 2-0 defeat to Bradford City U18s at Prenton Park.

Hosting the tie on behalf of the Bantams, Tranmere fell behind early on after a composed finish in the box from Harry Ibbitson. 

The Bradford striker then doubled his side’s advantage from the penalty spot after Sidibeh was tripped in the area. 

The young Rovers squad from the Club’s Education Hub battled hard but fell to defeat under the Prenton Park lights. 

Tranmere’s Miles Craven was replaced early into proceedings after picking up a knock, Jude Mottram his replacement. Moments later, Bradford captain Gabriel Wadsworth forced a save out of Alex Brown. 

The Bantams then opened the scoring through Ibbitson with seven minutes played, after Sidibeh rounded the Rovers ‘keeper and squared for the forward. 

Tranmere searched diligently for an equaliser and Charlie Martin came close, slicing a shot just over the bar from Jack Bentley’s long throw-in. 

Sidibeh looked a threat for Bradford all night and curled just wide before winning a penalty after being tripped in the box. 

The responsibility fell to goalscorer Ibbitson, who calmly converted to double his side’s advantage with half an hour played. 

Sidibeh wasn’t slowing down and wriggled through a couple of defenders before getting a shot away that was gathered low by the Rovers stopper. 

Ibbitson almost had a first-half hat-trick, but Brown held his header well. Dylan Wilkinson then missed the target for the Bantams as the opening period came to an end. 

Kacper Mikulski had a great chance to half the deficit for Tranmere as the hour mark approached. Seb Henderson pounced on a loose ball and played the forward through one-on-one, but Zac Hadi was out quickly to deny his effort. 

Donald Kamwa tried a low shot from range as Bradford looked to extend their lead, but Brown was alert again to keep the attempt out. Sidibeh then miscued a shot from close range after a good ball in from the right. 

Kamwa tested Brown again, with a powerful shot from 25-yards, but was denied with 20 minutes to go. Ibbitson then had the chance to seal the tie with his third but had to stretch for a square ball and couldn’t hit the target. 

Rovers won a late free kick on the edge of the penalty area, which Henderson bent low into the gloves of Hadi. 

A superb pair of saves from Brown kept the deficit at two in stoppage time, but Tranmere couldn’t carve out any chances to get back in the game and exited the FA Youth Cup. 


BRADFORD CITY U18: Hadi, Wilkinson, Boney, Denison, Brooks, Goodman, Sidibeh, Ibbitson, Wadsworth, Kamwa, Thompson 

SUBSTITUTES: Lord, Gledhill, Hussain, Murray, Mboma, Mohamed, Rose-Campbell 

TRANMERE ROVERS U18: Brown, Murwira, Craven, Baker, Bentley, Martin, Price, Edgar, Mikulski, Henderson, McHugh 

SUBSTITUTES: Uka, Burns, West, Baxter, Hawkins, Mottram, McGill 


This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account