Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Stockport County 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

28 October 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Stockport County 2-0 Tranmere Rovers

28 October 2023

Tranmere Rovers fell to a 2-0 defeat against League Two leaders Stockport County at Edgeley Park.

Isaac Olaofe netted his 11th league goal of the campaign after five minutes, finishing first-time a through ball from Odin Bailey. 

Harvey Saunders was shown two yellow cards either side of half-time, for fouls on Macauley Southam-Hales. 

Then, Stockport found a second through Antoni Sarcevic, after a good run into the box and finish on 54 minutes. 

The first chance of the game fell to Rovers and ex-Hatter Connor Jennings. Rob Apter flicked the ball into the midfielder who fired wide from range. 

However, it was the hosts who took the lead early on. Bailey played a through ball into Isaac Olaofe in the box, who made no mistake with a flicked first-time finish beyond Luke McGee. 

Stockport then assumed most of the possession in the first 45 minutes. Kyle Wootton headed over from a cross, before Bailey saw his shot deflect off Paul Lewis and behind. 

Kristian Dennis got a shot away at the other end, on the volley as the ball dropped over his head, but it didn’t trouble Ben Hinchliffe in net. 

McGee was as alert as ever in the first half and had to be as Wootton played a dangerous ball across goal for Sarcevic. The Rovers stopper gathered the ball before the Hatters number ten could make contact. 

Apter took on a few blue shirts as 45 minutes crept closer. The Blackpool loanee cut onto his left and shot, but a crucial block from a Hatters’ defender took the pace off his effort. 

Lewis and Saunders picked up bookings as the first half drew to a close. The latter’s turned into a red shortly after the restart after a foul on Southam-Hales. 

The hset out for a second and soon had it as Sarcevic made a good run into the box and slotted beyond McGee. 

The goalscorer then found the post with a header before Wootton smashed the bar with his follow up. A clearance off the line then ended the attack. 

Despite having ten men, Rovers dug in and created chances in the second half. Jennings had a shot blocked behind on the hour mark, before firing wide from range five minutes later. 

The visitors did have the ball in the net through Dennis, but the linesman’s flag denied him a goal back. 

Apter was causing more problems down the right. Two excellent saves from Hinchliffe kept out the winger’s fierce efforts in the final 20 minutes.  

However, Stockport managed to hold onto their two-goal advantage and extend their winning streak as the final whistle blew. 


STOCKPORT COUNTY: Hinchliffe, Wright, Horsfall, Southam-Hales, Sarcevic (Camps 69’), Collar (Hippolyte 69’), Pye (Knoyle 69’), Croasdale (Pond 87’), Wootton, Olaofe (Madden 69’), Bailey 

SUBS NOT USED: Smith, Richardson 

TRANMERE ROVERS: McGee, O’Connor, Davies, Turnbull, Pike (J. Norris 90’), Walker (Hawkes 86’), Lewis, Jennings, Apter (Morris 90’), Dennis (L. Norris 75’), Saunders 

SUBS NOT USED: Murphy, Jolley, Yarney 

ATTENDANCE: 9,735 (782 away) 


This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account