Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Stockport County 0-2 Tranmere Rovers (CSC)

26 September 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Stockport County 0-2 Tranmere Rovers (CSC)

26 September 2023

Tranmere Rovers safely secured a second round place in the Cheshire Senior Cup, after a 2-0 win over Stockport County at Edgeley Park.

The visitors opened the scoring against their fellow League Two opposition in the 42nd minute, as Harvey Saunders found the far corner of Jordan Smith’s goal. 

The lead was doubled after half-time. Rob Apter found the net for the first time in white, following a double save from the ‘keeper. 

Rovers go through to Round Two of a competition they lost won in 1958, when they beat the Hatters in a two-legged final. 

Assistant Manager Neil Danns, who led the side in place of Nigel Adkins tonight, handed a debut to new signing Jean Belehouan, and later Joe Starbuck as a substitute. There were also places on the bench for student athletes Jack Bentley and Kacper Mikulski of the Education Hub @ Tranmere Rovers. 

The visitors started bright, Apter picked the pockets of Cody Johnson after five minutes and charged towards the box but was dispossessed as he looked to shoot. 

Callum Camps momentarily evaded the Tranmere defence and brought the ball down in acres of space, however he overhit a pass across to Ashton Mee who was bearing down on goal. 

Saunders found himself on the floor inside the penalty area, signalling to referee George Eaton that he had been pushed, but the official was unmoved. 

Apter drove into open air as the half drew towards a close. He unleashed an effort which was tipped over by Smith in the Hatters goal.  

The breakthrough came shortly afterwards. Chris Merrie, captain for the evening, played a perfect through ball into Saunders who smashed a shot across the ‘keeper and into the far corner. 

Just after the restart, the forward found himself in an almost identical position, but Smith was equal to his effort on this occasion. 

Stockport then had their best spell of the game. Liverpool loanee James Norris had to be alert to block Mee’s shot from range, before Akil Wright’s header dropped into the arms of Joe Murphy. 

Camps continued his good work with the ball, dribbling past three Rovers defenders before going down in the box. No penalty said the referee. 

However, the visitors weathered the storm and found the net for a second time. Saunders’ low cross was parried into the path of Apter, who was first denied by Smith before tapping in the rebound for his first Tranmere goal. 

With 15 minutes to play, Christian Norton smashed the underside of the crossbar for the hosts. The ball then fell to Jayden Richardson, who found the woodwork himself. 

Saunders had a golden chance to find his second, but again Smith was on hand to deny him one-on-one, this time saving low. 

However Rovers had done enough, and saw the game out to progress to Round Two. 


STOCKPORT COUNTY: Smith, Richardson, Lowton, Johnson, Wright, Pond, Cotterill, Camps, Madden, Norton, Mee (Popoola 57’) 

SUBS NOT USED: Jones, McMahon, Fligg, Partington 

TRANMERE ROVERS: Murphy, O’Connor (Starbuck 46’), Hockenhull, Belehouan, Wood, J.Norris, Merrie (Bentley 73’), Hughes, Apter, Saunders, Dennis 

SUBS NOT USED: Robson, Davies, Mikulski 

ATTENDANCE: 756 (63 Tranmere) 


This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account