Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 0-1 Wrexham

2 September 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 0-1 Wrexham

2 September 2023

Tranmere Rovers fell to a 1-0 defeat against Wrexham at Prenton Park, after a second half Aaron Hayden header.

Luke McGee was the star in the first half, making several vital saves to keep out the likes of Sam Dalby and James McClean. 

However, Hayden nodded home from a corner ten minutes after the restart to give the visitors the lead. 

Rovers couldn’t find an answer and Wrexham left with all three points. 

Both sides had chances to score in the opening two minutes. Kieron Morris curled over before Luke Young’s fierce effort deflected off teammate Ollie Palmer and out. 

It was the visitors who were enjoying most of the early possession, though. After a succession of corners, their best chance fell to Palmer who volleyed over from inside the box. 

Ryan Barnett flashed a wicked delivery across the face of goal, but there was no one there to tap in. Tranmere came back with a dangerous cross of their own, delivered by Josh Hawkes but narrowly out of the reach of Kristian Dennis. 

With 20 minutes gone, Palmer twisted in and out of three white shirts and played in Dalby, who was denied at close range by McGee. 

The birthday boy was in action again to close down McClean’s shot, after the visitors had launched a rapid counter. At the other end, Dennis’ shot from a narrow angle was gathered easily by Mark Howard. 

As the half drew towards a close, Hawkes attempted a speculative effort from range, which swerved wide of the far post.

Dalby almost had the visitors in front immediately after the interval, as his header dropped narrowly wide of the post. 

However, Wrexham had the lead on 56 minutes when Hayden nodded in from a corner. 

Dan Pike fired wide from range and Rovers searched for a response. Morris then crossed from the right for Tom Davies who arrived too late to meet the delivery. 

It was nearly two as Palmer scuffed McClean’s pass into the gloves of McGee but, with 20 minutes to go, Tranmere continued to push for an equaliser, as substitute Sam Taylor stung the gloves of Howard. 

Time continued to tick away as Taylor ran through but couldn’t beat the outrushing ‘keeper. 

Rovers couldn’t find a goal and the full-time whistle sounded after six minutes of added time, as Wrexham went home with the points. 

TRANMERE ROVERS: McGee, Yarney (Walker 66’), T. Davies, Turnbull, Pike (Taylor 66’), Merrie, Hendry, Morris (McAlear 84’), Hawkes, Jennings, Dennis 

SUBS NOT USED: Murphy, Jolley, Lewis, J. Norris 

WREXHAM AFC: Howard, Tozer, Hayden (O’Connell 73’), Young, Palmer, Dalby, O’Connor, McClean, Boyle, Barnett (Forde 85’), Lee (Evans 89’) 

SUBS NOT USED: McNicholas, Mendy, Cannon, Bickerstaff 

ATTENDANCE: 10,630 (2,074 away) 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account