Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Crewe

3 February 2024

Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Crewe

3 February 2024

Tranmere Rovers played their first goalless game of the league season at Prenton Park against Crewe.

Rovers started strongly and almost hit the visitors on the break just a couple of minutes in, but Charlie Jolley couldn’t find Rob Apter with both leading the attack.

Tranmere had another chance to go ahead 10 minutes in when Kieron Morris played Connor Jennings in on the keeper in the box, but Tom Booth came out to gather.

Crewe had a chance shortly after with a free-kick on the edge of the box, but Rio Adebisi hit it straight into the wall.

The visitors grew into the game and Nevitt had a chance to strike on the edge of the six-yard box but it was well blocked.

Rovers responded well though, and Booth had to rush off his line to get hold of a Brad Walker corner on the half-hour mark.

On the stroke of half time, Jolley was sent one-on-one with Booth, but the keeper got off his line fast enough to come and gather.

The sides went in level at the break with all to play for in the second period.

Rovers started the second half similar to they did the first, winning a couple of corners early on to put on the pressure.

Apter tried a curling effort seven minutes in, bit it was narrowly over the bar. Crewe countered through Chris Long, and Luke McGee had to come off his line quickly to close down and spread his body to block the shot.

Long then tried his luck with a volley shortly before the hour mark which was over the bar.

Apter cut inside for a Rovers chance minutes later, and his curling effort was just wide of the mark.

Courtney Baker-Richardson came off the bench and instantly almost scored from a long throw, but Tom Davies and Jordan Turnbull blocked a couple of shots well in quick succession.

McGee raced off his line with eight minutes left and was just pipped by Baker-Richardson, but the ball looped into the air and Tom Davies was able to get to it first to knock it out of danger.

Rovers won a free-kick on the edge of the box with five to go, and substitute Reece McAlear put it narrowly over the bar.

Regan Hendry had a volleyed chance in stoppage time, but the ball was just behind him inside the box.

Walker was next with a volley, this one from the edge of the box, but hit it centimetres wide. 

The game seemed destined to end goalless, and eventually did so for the first time this season in the league for Rovers.

TRANMERE ROVERS: Luke McGee, Lee O’Connor, Tom Davies (C), Jordan Turnbull, Connor Wood, Rob Apter (Reece McAlear, 83), Brad Walker, Regan Hendry, Kieron Morris (Josh Hawkes, 77), Connor Jennings, Charlie Jolley (Harvey Saunders, 65).

UNUSED SUBS: Joe Murphy, Joe Yarney, Paul Lewis, James Norris.

CREWE ALEXANDRA: Tom Booth (Harvey Davies, 46), Rio Adebisi, Mickey Demetriou, Luke Offord (C), Chris Long, Conor Thomas, Shilow Tracey (Lewis Leigh, 75), Ed Turns, Elliott Nevitt (Courtney Baker-Richardson, 75), Aaron Rowe (Charlie Kirk, 90), Lewis Billington (Matus Holicek, 75).

UNUSED SUBS: Ryan Cooney, John Austerfield.

This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account