Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere 0-7 Tottenham

4 January 2019

Match Reports

Tranmere 0-7 Tottenham

4 January 2019

Tranmere Rovers FA Cup journey ended as they were beaten by Premier League title contenders Tottenham Hotspur at Prenton Park.

In front of a sell out crowd of more than 12,000, the home faithful stuck with their team from the first whistle to the last, as the North London side booked their place in the next round of the competition. 

Manager Micky Mellon made two changes from the draw at Macclesfield, Harvey Gilmour and Steve McNulty in for Jonny Smith and Adam Buxton. 

Tottenham, blessed with international talent, handed the captain's armband to England's Deli Alli, whilst there was also a start for Heung-Min Son before his departure to the Asian Cup. 

And it was that man, Son, who had the first chance of the game, put through on goal, Spurs' number seven was denied by an excellent save from Scott Davies. 
Davies was in top form, and in the 12th minute he made another unbelievable stop from Lucas Moura from point blank range. 

Tranmere settled into the game well and had a couple of sights on goal, Connor Jennings having a fierce strike blocked whilst James Norwood was off balance and hit wide from the left hand side. 

At the other end, Spanish striker Llorente smashed over a volley whilst Juan Foryth long range effort was comfortable for Davies. 

Defender Manny Monthe was within inches of his first goal of the season when his header from a corner was caught well by goalkeeper Paulo Gazzaninga. 

Tottenham took the lead in the 39th minute when Aurier picked up on a loose ball and hammered the ball into the top left, leaving Davies with no chance. 

Into the second half and Tottenham and the visitors turned on the style and within three minutes doubled their lead when Llorente finished off a free flowing attacking move, as Son laid it on a plate for the striker to tap home. 
Tranmere responded perfectly and could have had a goal back as Gilmour had a glorious opportunity, unmarked at the back post, his effort was right at the keeper to tip over. 

Tottenham made it three in the 54th minute as Aurier grabbed his second of the night as Son turned provider once more. 

The South Korean international added the Premier League side's fourth, placing the ball past Davies after cleverly weaving his way through the TRFC defence. 
Manager Mellon introduced Ollie Banks from the bench, a huge positive for Rovers after his spell out on the sidelines. The midfielder's impact was instant, hitting a 20-yard strike at goal, only to be pushed away by the Spurs goalkeeper. 
Tranmere's spirit was refusing to die as the Prenton Park faithful stuck with their team throughout, as Jake Caprice came close once again, as Rovers went in search for a deserved goal, but his strike from the right hand side dragged wide of the post.
However, Tottenham were in the mood and two clinical attacks saw two quick fire goals for Spanish international Llorente as he grabbed his hat trick.
Llorente was soon replaced by World Cup Golden Boot winner Harry Kane, and the England centre forward rounded off the scoring as he ran on to a through ball to clip past Davies.
Tranmere were given a standing ovation by the home supporters after the game, and the team will now turn their focus towards League Two, with Cheltenham next up a week on Saturday. 

Tranmere: Davies, Ellis, Caprice, McNulty, Monthe, Harris (Banks 58), McCullough, Gilmour, Ridehalgh, Jennings (Mullin 83), Norwood. Unused subs: Passant, Bakayogo, Stockton, Buxton, Sutton.

 Attendance: 12,553.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account