Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Doncaster Rovers

20 October 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Tranmere Rovers 1-2 Doncaster Rovers

20 October 2023

Tranmere Rovers fell to a 2-1 defeat at home to Doncaster Rovers in Sky Bet League Two.

The visitors were two goals to the good, Harrison Biggins opened the scoring after a tapping in a squared ball from Zain Westbrooke. 

Then Modou Faal doubled their lead in the second half after running through and chipping Joe Murphy, who replaced Luke McGee in goal due to his suspension. 

Connor Jennings, captain for the evening, pulled a goal back with a low shot past Louis Jones. However, the hosts could not find an equaliser and lost at Prenton Park in the league for the first time since September 2nd. 

Kristian Dennis latched onto a loose ball and released Harvey Saunders down the right flank early on. His teasing cross towards Kieron Morris was quickly cut out. 

The visitors surged forward in response. Number seven took on number seven as Morris blocked the curling effort of Luke Molyneux. 

Chances were at a premium in the opening 20 minutes, but Tranmere came closest to goal when Josh Hawkes’ wicked in-swinger was cleared just as Dennis was about to pounce. 

However, with 27 minutes played, Doncaster took the lead. A through ball from Ben Close split the Rovers defence, and Westbrooke was able to square for Biggins to convert a simple tap-in. 

Tranmere had a superb chance to level the scores towards the end of the half. Regan Hendry’s free kick was headed goalbound but kept out by Jones on the line. 

Doncaster boss Grant McCann was shown a red card shortly afterwards for denying a Rovers counter attack by shielding the ball from Hendry. The hosts did go on to move up the pitch and Connor Wood’s whipped delivery was punched clear. 

Jennings then headed wide as the first half drew to a close.  

Biggins stung the palms of Murphy with a free kick when play resumed. George Broadbent’s low effort was stopped shortly afterwards. 

Faal then doubled the visitors’ lead, running through and chipping Murphy. 

As the clock ticked past 60, Nigel Adkins rung the changes and made three subs, including that of Rob Apter for Hawkes.  

The Blackpool loanee was straight into the action, dancing in and out of three defenders before passing to Jennings, who beat Jones to reduce the arrears. 

Rovers hunted for the equaliser with great momentum. Apter’s next ball in caused problems and eventually dropped to goalscorer Jennings who flashed a shot just over. 

Biggins tried an effort which swerved and tested Murphy in goal, the Irishman parried the shot away as the game entered the final ten minutes. 

It was too little, too late though, as Tranmere fell to defeat at home. 



TRANMERE ROVERS: Murphy, O’Connor, Turnbull, Yarney, Wood, Hendry, Jennings, Morris (Lewis 62’), Hawkes (Apter 62’), Dennis (Jolley 62’), Saunders 

SUBS NOT USED: Robson, Taylor, Pike, Belehouan 

DONCASTER ROVERS: Jones, Anderson, Molyneux, Broadbent, Biggins, Nixon, Bailey, Ironside, Westbrooke, Close (Degruchy 86’), Faal 

SUBS NOT USED: Lawlor, Sotona, Kuleya, Goodman, Flint 

ATTENDANCE: 5,835 (386 away)


This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account