Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Swindon Town 3-1 Tranmere Rovers

27 February 2024

Match Reports

Match Report: Swindon Town 3-1 Tranmere Rovers

27 February 2024

Tranmere Rovers were defeated 3-1 on the road at Swindon on Tuesday evening.

Nigel Adkins made five changes to his side from the weekend’s game against Forest Green as James Norris, Reece McAlear, Josh Hawkes, Paul Lewis and Luke Norris all returned to the starting eleven.

Lewis set Rob Apter on the attack with a smart through ball six minutes into the contest but the winger’s shot from just inside the box was well blocked by Frazer Blake-Tracey.

It was a cagey beginning to the game as both sides worked to break each other down, neither keeper having a save to make in the opening 20 minutes.

Lewis and Luke Norris combined well shortly after the 20-minute mark with a smart one-two in the box, but the striker’s header was narrowly wide.

The game sprang into action when Swindon forged ahead on 23 minutes when Sean McGurk dummied a shot to get past Regan Hendry before firing home.

Just moments later, Rovers were level through Rob Apter who fired home after Regan Hendry’s long-range effort had ricocheted into his path.

Swindon were ahead again on 36 minutes when Rushian Hepburn-Murphy was sent one-on-one with Luke McGee and rounded the keeper to stroke the ball into the back of the net.

The hosts continued to threaten as we approached half time, but Rovers hit on the break and Luke Norris stung the palms of Jack Bycroft before Hendry saw a cross drift into the keeper’s arms.

Tranmere had a couple of half-chances on the stroke of the break as they looked to forge level, but the hosts eventually went in ahead.

It was an equally cagey start to the second half as the first, as the game settled down again.

Hepburn-Murphy had his second of the game on 64 minutes though, racing through again before swiping past McGee.

Former Rovers loanee Hepburn-Murphy proved a threat all night down the right wing, continuing to cause problems for the Rovers back line.

Rovers rang the chances in the second half as Harvey Saunders and Charlie Jolley replaced Luke Norris and Paul Lewis, while James Norris and Apter were replaced by Dan Pike and Sam Taylor in two double switches.

The fresh-legged partnership of Pike and Saunders linked up on the left to fashion a couple of half-chances for Rovers but the hosts stood firm to defend their two-goal advantage.

The hosts soaked up late pressure from Tranmere to protect that lead and eventually come out 3-1 winners.

Swindon Town: Jack Bycroft, Frazer Blake-Tracy, Paul Glatzel, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy, Sean McGurk (Tom Brewitt, 68), Dawson Devoy, Udoka Godwin-Malife (Zachary Elbouzedi, 68), Conor McCarthy, Ricky Aguiar (Jake Cain, 68), Harrison Minturn (Williams Kokolo, 46), Charlie Austin (C) (Aaron Drinan, 58).

Unused subs: Harry McKirdy, Conor Brann.

Tranmere Rovers: Luke McGee, Lee O’Connor, Tom Davies (C), Jordan Turnbull, James Norris (Dan Pike, 72), Rob Apter (Sam Taylor, 72), Reece McAlear (Chris Merrie, 88), Regan Hendry, Josh Hawkes, Paul Lewis (Charlie Jolley, 63), Luke Norris (Harvey Saunders, 63).

Unused subs: Joe Murphy, Jean Belehouan.

Attendance: 7245 (292 away).

This match report is sponsored by Just Click Marketing.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account